[SOLVED] How do i keep the windows 10 i have with a newer computer

Sep 28, 2019
I want to install a new mobo, cpu and ram. but dont really know where to start. my main concern is i might have to buy a new copy of windows 10 which i would like to not do. the problem i have though is i bought this windows when it was windows 7 and than upgraded when they had the free upgrade since than i have lost the windows key. any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
now will i have to reformat my harddrives, or do you think i can get away with just plugging them in.
It’s highly recommended to reinstall Windows. Swapping Windows between systems might work, it might not boot or you could be chasing issues indefinitely. It’s best to just plan to format your Windows drive and start again.

THartmann9374

Honorable
Feb 13, 2017
Make sure you have Windows 10 digital to your Microsoft account. You then download latest ISO from Microsoft. You install Windows 10. Skip key product prompt. But put down your Microsoft account. Then it should be activated.

Sep 28, 2019
Make sure you have Windows 10 digital to your Microsoft account. You then download latest ISO from Microsoft. You install Windows 10. Skip key product prompt. But put down your Microsoft account. Then it should be activated.
now will i have to reformat my harddrives, or do you think i can get away with just plugging them in.