[SOLVED] How do I know if a cpu Is compatible with my motherboard?

Feb 28, 2020
When I built my PC I went for a 1060 + i3 8th gen + 400w good quality PSU.
However, I later upgraded to a 2060, and accordigly 550w cx550m.
In some games the 4 cores 3.6 GHz processor bottlenecks a bit the gpu, so I was thinking about upgrading again.
Don't want to change the mobo so I found that the new i5-8400f 4.1ghz boost has the same socket as my i3. On pcpartpicker It gives me a disclaimer that the mobo May not have the BIOS to run It therefore I would Need an older CPU to update It, which of course I do. The website of my mobo States that It Is compatible with 9th gen Intel however I'm not sure it was already there when i bought it. Any tips?

Solution
Update the BIOS to the most recent revision. If F12 is the most recent, install that. If there's a more recent one, you should install that.

Yes, after updating BIOS with your current setup, you can safely switch to the 9400F. You'll most likely be advised to enter BIOS on first boot with the new CPU, so it can save the correct settings for your new CPU.

EDIT : F13 is the most recent BIOS for your board

There an F14a Beta BIOS also, but I would probably pick the non-BETA F13 to begin with
If you go to the motherboard support site HERE, you can see what CPUs are compatible, and what BIOS version they require to function

You can see that the i5 8400 is supported from BIOS F1 and up

So as long as you have BIOS version F1 or newer installed, you are good to go.

EDIT :

The reason why your motherboard now supports 9th, which it didn't at launch, is that a BIOS update has been made available, that adds support for 9th gen.
That's also why you get the Attention message on pcpartpicker, 9th gen were not supported natively and needs a BIOS update.

However 8th gen, were natively supported, and usually don't require a BIOS update.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020
If you go to the motherboard support site HERE, you can see what CPUs are compatible, and what BIOS version they require to function

You can see that the i5 8400 is supported from BIOS F1 and up

So as long as you have BIOS version F1 or newer installed, you are good to go.

EDIT :

The reason why your motherboard now supports 9th, which it didn't at launch, is that a BIOS update has been made available, that adds support for 9th gen.
That's also why you get the Attention message on pcpartpicker, 9th gen were not supported natively and needs a BIOS update.

However 8th gen, were natively supported, and usually don't require a BIOS update.

Sorry I wrote it wrong. I want an i5-9400F. So how do I update the bios for that chip?

According to the link I provided earlier, the i5 9400F is supported from BIOS F12 and up (R0 and P0 stepping)

If the CPU is the version with U0 stepping, it is supported from F11 and up.

EDIT:
Sorry, I misread your post.

You need an 8th Gen CPU to update BIOS to support the 9400F, unless the motherboard already has BIOS F12 or newer installed

Feb 28, 2020
I see. I check with dxdiag and I currently have F1. I don't see on the site I'm gonna buy the cpu from the stepping. So now that I can, is it safe to update the bios to F12 and then upgrading? Am I safe doing so? Or do I need specifically f11 if i get the U0 ?

Update the BIOS to the most recent revision. If F12 is the most recent, install that. If there's a more recent one, you should install that.

Yes, after updating BIOS with your current setup, you can safely switch to the 9400F. You'll most likely be advised to enter BIOS on first boot with the new CPU, so it can save the correct settings for your new CPU.

There an F14a Beta BIOS also, but I would probably pick the non-BETA F13 to begin with

Reactions: Enize
Solution
Feb 28, 2020

Thanks a lot, I will search a tutorial on how to update the bios and go with the F13. Changing to solved.