Question How do I know if my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU or vice versa?

InvalidError

Titan
There ALWAYS is a bottleneck, what matters is whether it happens beyond the minimum performance you can be happy with.

As for how to find out, use HWInfo or similar tool to keep tabs on CPU vs GPU usage, whichever gets to 100% first is the bottleneck at that time. This will vary heavily from game to game and even between scenes within the same game.

Mar 2, 2019
There ALWAYS is a bottleneck, what matters is whether it happens beyond the minimum performance you can be happy with.

As for how to find out, use HWInfo or similar tool to keep tabs on CPU vs GPU usage, whichever gets to 100% first is the bottleneck at that time. This will vary heavily from game to game and even between scenes within the same game.
Is it possible to get them on par with each other? Turning down settings?

InvalidError

Titan
Is it possible to get them on par with each other? Turning down settings?
It is impossible to be exactly even as the GPU vs CPU workload balance can have a spread of something like 10:1 from one extreme to the other within a given game - you don't need much GPU-power to render frames when a large chunk of your field of view is a single wall.

Any tuning you do to "balance" things out will only be exact in very specific circumstances. For playability, it is more important to tune to keep extremes within your comfort zone most of the time than achieving some arbitrary numerical balance between CPU and GPU load.