[SOLVED] How do I know if my RTX 3080 is being Bottlenecked by my CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
So I just got my RTX 3080 installed and I hopped on some of my favorite games to test out this beast of a GPU like: Borderlands 3, Forza Horizon 4, NFS Heat, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and even Rainbow Six Siege. All to find out on ultra settings @ 1080p I was getting micro stuttering and FPS from 80-100 FPS on all of them. I've updated my drivers and now I'm at a cross roads. My CPU is a I7-8700k Overclocked to 4.7 ghz and it's liquid cooled.
Any help diagnosing this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Ok, very interesting. So my ram could potentially be limiting my FPS?

I should go a little more in depth to avoid misunderstandings:

CPUs feed GPUs pre-rendered frames, so if your CPU is too slow, it'll limit GPU's ability to do its job.

CPUs get their data in order to pre-render frames from RAM, so if you don't have enough RAM, have single-channel RAM instead of dual-channel RAM, or have RAM that is too slow, it can slow down your CPU from doing its job which in turn slows down your GPU. Make sense?

Now, Intel CPUs aren't very sensitive to RAM speed, but the higher frame rates you aim for, the more important stuff like RAM speed becomes. It is possible (but I don't know for sure) that maybe your 3000 MHz RAM speed is a...