[SOLVED] How do I know what is blocking my ports?

WaldreDG

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
How do I know if it is my Windows Firewall, the router or my ISP blocking ports. I have asked my ISP to open some ports and they have said that they opened the ports I asked for but on my side it still isn't open. I have tried portforwarding on my router and opening the ports in my firewall. I don't know what to do as I don't know anything about networking. The reason I want the ports opened is to see if it fixes me getting kicked from COD MW lobbies. If I go on any port checking website every port I try to check is closed.
Here is the message I get for every port I check

I have searched on google and found nothing that helped me.
What can I do to fix this?

There is so much mis information when it comes to games and port forwarding. You really only need to forward ports when you are hosting a server. Games like cod use central servers and no player is acting as the host. What tends to confuse things is that games use other ports. You machine sends data to those ports. Data being send from your machine does not need port forwarding rules it is done by default in NAT. What you do need to do is make sure there are no firewall rules that block it. A firewall rule is generally in the PC and not in the router. Unless you have something configured wrong firewall rules on microsoft allow all ports out.

A port scanner does no good for most games. First you have to be the HOST of the game and then the game must be actually active for a port scanner to find it. A game where you need port forwarding rules is something like minecraft where people have private servers. This if you scan and the server is actually active you will see the port is open.

You have to be very careful what you believe when you are on gaming web sites. It seems some gamers can tell you every button to push to complete some complex in game task but they are lucky to find the switch to turn on their pc.

WaldreDG

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
There is so much mis information when it comes to games and port forwarding. You really only need to forward ports when you are hosting a server. Games like cod use central servers and no player is acting as the host. What tends to confuse things is that games use other ports. You machine sends data to those ports. Data being send from your machine does not need port forwarding rules it is done by default in NAT. What you do need to do is make sure there are no firewall rules that block it. A firewall rule is generally in the PC and not in the router. Unless you have something configured wrong firewall rules on microsoft allow all ports out.

A port scanner does no good for most games. First you have to be the HOST of the game and then the game must be actually active for a port scanner to find it. A game where you need port forwarding rules is something like minecraft where people have private servers. This if you scan and the server is actually active you will see the port is open.

You have to be very careful what you believe when you are on gaming web sites. It seems some gamers can tell you every button to push to complete some complex in game task but they are lucky to find the switch to turn on their pc.
I read the article on Portforwarding.com about the ports that have to be open for COD MW so I thought maybe it would fix it. I also tried hosting a minecraft server and I couldn't host it even after my ISP said the ports are open, we had to use Hamachi to get them to join me. Other games like Warframe also said I had to open some ports because my NAT type was strict. I have also opened the ports in inbound rules but it still didn't work. Just wondering why is port 21 closed, because all of the common ports are all closed for me?

Do you know what a FTP server is. Are you running one. The answers to those question will explain why port 21 is not open.

This is where understand what a port actually is and how it is used is very important.

Warframe does not use central servers it is a peer to peer game someone must host the game. It should actually work fine without port forwarding as long as the other person can host the game.

Generally if a game requires port forwarding it will not run at all. If you just randomly have issues it is not likely a port forwarding issue

WaldreDG

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
Do you know what a FTP server is. Are you running one. The answers to those question will explain why port 21 is not open.

This is where understand what a port actually is and how it is used is very important.

Warframe does not use central servers it is a peer to peer game someone must host the game. It should actually work fine without port forwarding as long as the other person can host the game.

Generally if a game requires port forwarding it will not run at all. If you just randomly have issues it is not likely a port forwarding issue
I sort of understand now, but why is port 25565 for the Minecraft server also still closed. I asked my ISP to open it they have said that they did and I tried port forwarding on my router but it is still closed.

WaldreDG

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
If the WAN IP is a 10.x.y.z or a 192.168.x.y or a 100.x.y.z then there is little you can do. You can request a public IP from your ISP. It may cost extra. You can change ISPs to one that will provide you a public IP.
Thank you very much, I will ask if I can get a public IP. If it doesn't work I don't think I'll be able to switch ISPs anytime soon but thanks again for the help!