How do I learn to code games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Wanted to do it for time, but no idea where to start? And also what about the creation of game assets (art and sound assets)? I have books on coding in C++, Java and coding for Android (which I did try. I got the app to open on my phone with a basic text entry, but it couldn't do anything)

Onetimetwotimes

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
I highly suggest you start somewhere simple. The easiest language to learn is HTML (You can start with HTML(5) at: http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp) once you have a good understanding of how coding works, you will be able to move on to more complicated, and complex languages such as C++ and Java.

Also, I'm not certain on this (so don't quote me on it), but I believe that mobile devices such as Android use Java.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

Android does use Java

Mankar Kameran

Honorable
Jul 13, 2015
There's a free version of a program called GameMaker from YoYo Games that I used in college. There are all sorts of tutorials for it on Youtube. I didn't learn much from class, but writing specific scripts one at a time helped out a lot.
Just an idea where to start.

Onetimetwotimes

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015

Good to know.
Also if you do plan on taking my advice on where to start, let me know how it goes, and if you need, I could give you some guidance to start out.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

It's a trial. Is it missing key features and how long is it for?

Status
Not open for further replies.