How do I lower the RPM on my liquid cooler pump???

Hamjonwillis

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
ever since I got my new h115i liquid cooler with my i7 7700k, I hit pretty cool temps, but my rpm on my pump is at 1950 and my cpu fans are at 900-1000. I need help because my friends are saying their computers are dead silent and I am getting annoyed listening to my pump all the time.

Solution
Well I would say your worrying over nothink, I have the 7700k with the h115i and my pump is on full tilt all the time as it's not the most powerful pump in the world but does the job, I can hardly hear the pump, I can hear the case fans more and there only running @700rpm, the fans are loud wen maxed but I never have them that high right now mine are running @1200rpm and I can just about hear them from 1metere away, somethink must be set up wrong as I can set a custom curve for my h115i fans, also the group there set to makes a huge difference as if there set the the h115i they go off the liquid temp, if u set them to cpu package they will ramp up and down a lot http://imgur.com/0xYZg0O

Hamjonwillis

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

blockhead78

Distinguished
running on quiet or performance, the pump shouldn't be loud

what does the noise sound like?

Is it not the fans?. The ones provided with the cooler run quite load when they ramp up.

And how did you connect your fans? Are they connected to the h115i block, or directly to the motherboard?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
So, the question is how to lower the RPM on a pump that can only move 0.9 Liters of coolant per minute?

Seems like you're wanting to go in the opposite direction, here and sacrificing actual performance for sound levels?

How loud is 'loud' that you're listening to? These pumps should be almost inaudible, producing only a low-volume hum at the very most and should not be able to be heard above case fans.

Technical specifications
Noise level: 40 dB(A).

Instructions
Connect the pump power cable to the CPU_FAN header on your motherboard.

The CPU_FAN header is a (PWM) Pulse Width Modulation which will allow the minimum RPM and the corresponding PWM duty cycle to be 30% of maximum RPM or less.

Also what case do you have? Have you confirmed your friends claim of "dead silent" because I call BS. I have mine front mounted in a Define R5 and you can still hear it in a quiet room. If it is dead silent it isn't running. For best control IMO get some half decent fans for it and plug them into the motherboard for more control and set the pump to quiet.

Not sure where you seen that but that isn't how the h115i works at all. It is entirely controlled by the block, the fan header is only there to give a signal to the motherboard so it doesn't freak out thinking there is no fan.

blockhead78

Distinguished

when you say you can hear the fans and pump, how loud is it and is it constant, or does it keep ramping up the noise over and over?

if it's making a lot of noise (i mean a lot) on the quiet setting, then something isn't right

if it's just the fact you can hear it a bit, then I wouldn't worry. I can hear mine on quiet, but it's not noisy

also, click on the fans (as highlighted in pics). What is the group set to?
fnnl4Ov.png

76do3jI.png

Hamjonwillis

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

Well, I'm pretty sure he is exaggerating but it's not that I don't hear the fans, I just hear a noise coming from the computer and I expect it to be the pump, it's not a crackling noise either, I can't really explain it. To be honest I might be worrying to much.

Hamjonwillis

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

My pump and fans rpm speeds are the same as yours actually and my temps are usually at 31C. It is possible that I am worrying about nothing, also what is your cpu fan rpm speed under load because mine is 1320 RPM

Brett_Uk

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
Well I would say your worrying over nothink, I have the 7700k with the h115i and my pump is on full tilt all the time as it's not the most powerful pump in the world but does the job, I can hardly hear the pump, I can hear the case fans more and there only running @700rpm, the fans are loud wen maxed but I never have them that high right now mine are running @1200rpm and I can just about hear them from 1metere away, somethink must be set up wrong as I can set a custom curve for my h115i fans, also the group there set to makes a huge difference as if there set the the h115i they go off the liquid temp, if u set them to cpu package they will ramp up and down a lot http://imgur.com/0xYZg0O

Solution