[SOLVED] How do i lower the temp for cpu

Oct 1, 2020
My cpu idles at around 50c but get over 90c when i start playing games. Then my pc just shuts down because of it. I put new thermal paste in and it still didnt help. Help me get the Temp down!

Last edited:
Solution
Hi and thanks for the datasheet.

If the system has been runing for 2 years there could be a number of things that may affect CPU temp:

1. Dust, after 2 years of use its a good idea to clean the interior ofthe system, as long as you know how to do it, and always with the system power off and unplugged from the wall.

2. Fan malfunction, this could lead to overheating if one or more of the fans are not working.

3. Pump malfunction. If the pump is not working properly, or not working at all, this would cause overheating. Another thing that can happend is the pump power/control cables not connected, or connected to the wrong header on the motherboard.

4. BIOS/software configuration, everything on the hardware side works properly but...
Oct 1, 2020
I have a rtx 2080, i7 8700, sealed water cooling for cpu, 750 watt power supply(i dont know the model of the power supply). My pc a couple weeks ago never got to 90c

I have a rtx 2080, i7 8700, sealed water cooling for cpu, 750 watt power supply(i dont know the model of the power supply). My pc a couple weeks ago never got to 90c

Hi, sealed water cooling for cpu is like saying I have an air cooler (there are thousands of them, all different), please write the full brand and model of the cooling system youre using, and if posible how long has this water cooling unit been runing.

Reactions: Nextgenpanda
Oct 1, 2020
Hi, sealed water cooling for cpu is like saying I have an air cooler (there are thousands of them, all different), please write the full brand and model of the cooling system youre using, and if posible how long has this water cooling unit been runing.

iBUYPOWER 120mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System. The cooling system has been running for more then 2 years.

Waterblock Size65x65x43mm
Waterblock Base56x56x2.5mm
Waterblock MaterialCopper/ABS
Pump Voltage12V
Pump Speed​
3200 +/- 10% rpm
Pump Flow4.5 L/m
Pump Pressure1.8 m
Pump Noise20.6 dB
Radiator Size156x120x32 mm
Radiator MaterialAluminum
Radiator ColorBlack
Tubing Size13mm x 320mm
Fan Size120x120x25 mm
Fan Voltage12 V
Fan Speed500 - 2000 rpm w/ PWM
Fan BearingHydraulic Bearing
Fan Flow82.24 CFM (max)
Fan Pressure2.83 mmH20 (max)
Fan Noise34.4 dBA (max)
Fan Lifespan40,000 hrs
Fan Connector4 Pin
Fan Qty1
Specs^

Hi and thanks for the datasheet.

If the system has been runing for 2 years there could be a number of things that may affect CPU temp:

1. Dust, after 2 years of use its a good idea to clean the interior ofthe system, as long as you know how to do it, and always with the system power off and unplugged from the wall.

2. Fan malfunction, this could lead to overheating if one or more of the fans are not working.

3. Pump malfunction. If the pump is not working properly, or not working at all, this would cause overheating. Another thing that can happend is the pump power/control cables not connected, or connected to the wrong header on the motherboard.

4. BIOS/software configuration, everything on the hardware side works properly but some value is not set right on BIOS or on Windows and is making, for example, so that your pump and/or fans are only working at 25% of the speed all the time.

This is just some of the issues that comes to my mind right now.

On easy thing to try out is using the PC (play a game, or run a test) with the side panel off while keeping an eye on the CPU and GPU temp. If you find the PC is not shutting down anymore you most likely have at least one of the problems I described earlier or a combination of those, or soemthing else related to one of those issues.

One last thing before I go to sleep, if this started to happend a few weeks ago, did you installed anything new by that time, that could be messing up with the pump or the fans?

Solution
Oct 1, 2020
My cpu just reached about 97c while trying to load gta V and crashed. the air coming out of the cpu vent didnt even feels close to 97c. Could it be a sensor problem?

Last edited:

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
My cpu just reached about 97c while trying to load gta V and crashed. the air coming out of the cpu vent didnt even feels close to 97c. Could it be a sensor problem?

No, either A) Your pump is not getting power (disconnected header on motherboard) or B) Your AIO's pump is dead. If the fans are not bleeding heat, but your CPU temp gets up that high AND the computer crashes, then the temperature is definitely getting that hot, and your AIO is failing to remove the heat from the CPU due to a failed pump.

Last edited: