How do I make a car radio waterproof?

Electricwhizkid

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
Hi, I need a water proof radio In my 2007 kawaski mule 3010. I bought a Boss marine radio and it's not worth a crap and the radio cover don't really keep water out, I have a bunch of car radios lying around in my barn and I put one in the vehicle and when it rained the other day the faceplate got water in it and started messing up, so is their anyway I can waterproof a faceplate? I thought about shrink wrap or that clear wrap stuff you put over food?

Ralston18

Titan
Just google "water proof" radios. Look for "mil specs" (military specifications).

Then eliminate those products that are actually only "water resistant".

Your best bet is digital controls (touching a pad) versus mechanical dials.

Keeping water out is one thing. However internal condensation can be just as bad.....

Ralston18

Titan
Waterproof faceplate for a car radio -- unlikely. Primarily because automobiles are not expected to be in the water.

Besides, waterproofing needs to be all around the "water-proofed" device. Water will get in somewhere and not only just on the front.

Not just a matter of water but heat, cold, vibration, bumps, etc.. "Ruggedized" is the buzz word to apply.

Surprised that the marine radio did not suit - maybe a defective radio or low quality?

That is why mil spec's may provide better guidelines. Of course, many manufacturers "game" the system and assert they meet the standards but the standards are all too weak. Happens with many products nowadays. Meeting "Government Standards" is worthless when a company lobbied and campaigned for those standards.

Not sure if you wish to listen to music while riding around or just have a handheld/emergency communicator of some sort. If the former maybe an iPod would work - at least for a while. Could seal it up in a clear bag with the earphone lead coming out. See joggers doing things like that.

Anyway I would revisit the marine radio world and look for other radio choices via boating forums etc.

LSxPoweredSorento

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
As said above the faceplate is the tough one. If you have a remote and don't plan on sticking anything in any holes (cd player) you could epoxy everything. I did this with an ECU and cheap crap radio in my 4x4 GEO Metro (yes I said Metro). I just opened it up and got 2 part epoxy then covered everything!! I had to use wax paper and some aluminum foil (wax paper against the ecu and radio then foil to hold shape) to keep it from running outside the perimeter. I also did not cover the heat sinks for any of the transistors or power supply. I epoxied all the buttons on the radio (I have a remote) and even the cd player door area (I use the audio jack and my Galaxy S5 (waterproof) or the usb extension cord it bought (also epoxied in) to use a usb stick.
It is an option... especially if its a POS radio... then who cares! It works and I have covered mine in mud and completely submerged them in water too.

Electricwhizkid

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
It's a Boss MR.1000 cassette player that came in the 4x4 when I bought it. I'll look for a marine radio that'll stand up to the military standards, if not I'll just go without a radio, I just use it for the farm and for mudding.

Ralston18

Titan
Expense (relative) is a factor to consider.

Overall, at this point I agree that just expoxing up an old/expendable radio may be enough to do the job - at least for a while. OP's usage (farm and mudding) is not critical per se so a failure is not a major concern as I see it. Probably a leaning curve involved and each subsequent radio "modification" will get better. No harm in trying to make do....