[SOLVED] How do I move certain things over.

dirkrgriebel54

Prominent
Mar 21, 2018
I want to clone/migrate to a new SSD. I have two though. one is a 250 gig I want to use for windows and the other is a 500 gig I want to use for apps and other things. How do I Separate them and do that?

Solution
Many games that use installers, such as Steam & Origin, can be moved off the current HDD to the SSD. Steam has a move function built into it now. You'll need to create a new folder on the SSD for the Steam games and add it to Steams library locations. I'm not sure about the other 'installer' apps.

Most applications that have their own installer, like Office, cannot be moved because they have too much info written in various places, like the registry, referencing their locations which breaks the app when moved.

Of course all your personal files, ie - documents, videos, pics, music..., can be moved. You just need to add the new location on the SSD to the library locations in windows.

Once the space taken up on the HDD drops below...

popatim

Titan
Many games that use installers, such as Steam & Origin, can be moved off the current HDD to the SSD. Steam has a move function built into it now. You'll need to create a new folder on the SSD for the Steam games and add it to Steams library locations. I'm not sure about the other 'installer' apps.

Most applications that have their own installer, like Office, cannot be moved because they have too much info written in various places, like the registry, referencing their locations which breaks the app when moved.

Of course all your personal files, ie - documents, videos, pics, music..., can be moved. You just need to add the new location on the SSD to the library locations in windows.

Once the space taken up on the HDD drops below about 200GB, you can clone it to the smaller SSD to make it the new boot disk. You may have to uninstall some applications to do this.

As you see, it's quite a bit of work to go from a single drive to two drives.

If you have the means to, making a backup before you begin making all these changes is recommended in case things go wrong. At minimum backup the important stuff.

Solution