• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question How do I move my OS from my HDD to my SSD?

CoffeeStoreGuy

Reputable
May 7, 2017
Been looking things up, but there are multiple answers, and now I'm here. I don't know if it can be as simple as moving the files to the SSD, but I don't think so.

Apr 28, 2020
If you’re upgrading your system and wish to move your OS from an old HDD to a new SSD then the easiest way is to physically install it, connect the right cables, and reinstall the Windows. But if you want to get all of your data, files, and folders from HDD on a new SSD then you might need the help of a 3rd party cloning software. Here you can also try the cloning feature from Stellar data recovery professional software that will help you transfer data and OS from hard drive to SSD.

popatim

Titan
Just your OS?
You would basically need to uninstall all your programs after moving all your games [that use a launcher (Steam,Origin,Uplay...)], your docs, pics, music, videos, downloads, emails... to another drive. Once that all done, you clone the current drive to the new drive.

Many SSD's come with cloning software. Samsungs is excellent for their SSD's and Macrium Reflect Free is as well AND works on all SSD's. Be warned you cannot easily go from an AHCI Sata drive to an NVME.

ASK THE COMMUNITY