[SOLVED] How do I Move my OS To my ssd?

Dec 30, 2019
I've got a 256gb ssd that's arriving tommorow and 1tb hdd. I want to completely wipe my Windows 10 OS that's on the HDD currently and start it on the ssd. How do I do this?

Solution
Yeah I want to just do a clean install from the SSD and remove EVERYTHING from the HDD. Any guidance would be appreciated.
No problem.

Clean install on the SSD. Have the HDD physically disconnected when you do this.

After it is all running on the new SSD, reconnect the HDD and delete ALL existing partitions on the HDD.
So your not trying to save any data?
Unplug the 1 TB HDD.
Do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD.
Plug the 1 TB HDD back in.
Make sure BIOS is using the SSD as the primary boot drive.
Start Windows and format the HDD.

Your system will be like it was on day 1 with the OS on the SSD and the 1 TB HDD clean and ready for whatever you want to save to it.

Dec 30, 2019
So your not trying to save any data?
Unplug the 1 TB HDD.
Do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD.
Plug the 1 TB HDD back in.
Make sure BIOS is using the SSD as the primary boot drive.
Start Windows and format the HDD.

Your system will be like it was on day 1 with the OS on the SSD and the 1 TB HDD clean and ready for whatever you want to save to it.

When you say do a fresh install do I just do it with a normal usb stick and also wont both sysytems now have windows 10?

USAFRet

Titan
so, ~172GB consumed on your current drive.

2 options:
1. Clean install on the new SSD. This always works, but is more effort, because you have to then reinstall everything else as well

2. Migrate everything from the old drive to the new SSD. This usually works. Given this amount of data, this may be a viable path forward. This usually works.

Which way do you want to go? Procedures can be provided either way.

Dec 30, 2019
so, ~172GB consumed on your current drive.

2 options:
1. Clean install on the new SSD. This always works, but is more effort, because you have to then reinstall everything else as well

2. Migrate everything from the old drive to the new SSD. This usually works. Given this amount of data, this may be a viable path forward. This usually works.

Which way do you want to go? Procedures can be provided either way.
Yeah I want to just do a clean install from the SSD and remove EVERYTHING from the HDD. Any guidance would be appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan
No problem.

Clean install on the SSD. Have the HDD physically disconnected when you do this.

After it is all running on the new SSD, reconnect the HDD and delete ALL existing partitions on the HDD.

Solution
When you say do a fresh install do I just do it with a normal usb stick and also wont both sysytems now have windows 10?
If you have a valid copy of windows 10 (along with the product key), then yes, you can use a usb stick that has been setup with windows media creation tool.

Both systems? Yes, both drives will have copies of Windows 10 OS, but the plan is to format the 1 TB HDD, which will remove all the information from it.

Dec 30, 2019
If you have a valid copy of windows 10 (along with the product key), then yes, you can use a usb stick that has been setup with windows media creation tool.

Both systems? Yes, both drives will have copies of Windows 10 OS, but the plan is to format the 1 TB HDD, which will remove all the information from it.
No problem.

Thanks for your help. I will try this out tomorrow when I get my SSD.