[SOLVED] How do I move programs from old HDD to New SSD

Mar 31, 2020
So I bought a 500gb SSD for my system to upgrade and speed up my system, however I was not able to clone my old HHD because there were some corruptions etc etc... Instead I downloaded a fresh install of Windows OS to the SSD and booted it from there (at the moment the old hard drive does still have an OS on it) I assumed when I loaded up, i would be able to use my old apps and files from the old HDD right away but I have since discovered in forums and YT that this isn’t the case. In fact although the Programs and files are all there on the HDD, I cannot use them in the same manner as if i Boot in the HHD. Is there a way I can move all my Programs, files and data from the HDD to the SSD and it work like before?

If I need extra software, I don’t mind spending up-to about 5/6 quid but I can’t afford some 50 quid bit of software

Thnx :)

Solution
Typically, .sav files.

This whole topic sounds a lot like you have important personal files like photos and university work that aren't backed up properly. That's a much bigger problem than not getting to use your new SSD.

Fix that more pressing concern and this becomes a much simpler issue. Generally speaking, people use the 3-2-1 rule: a minimum of 3 copies of every important file, on at least 2 different mediums/devices, and at least 1 off-site. This is basic PC ownership stuff, like changing the filter in your furnace or the oil in your car. Right now, what you're doing is worrying about the new stereo you want to install in your car when you've been driving on the same oil for 20,000 miles.

USAFRet

Titan
Just to be clear, I want to move EVERYTHING from one drive to the other, except the OS because the new drive already has an OS on it
You cannot do it like that.

The Registry in the new OS knows nothing about them, no matter where they are or where they end up.
OS and applications need to be moved as one, or you need to do a full reinstall of all these applications.

Mar 31, 2020
I have run into issues trying to move programs like this. I would recommend reinstalling them on the SSD.
Would i
You cannot do it like that.

The Registry in the new OS knows nothing about them, no matter where they are or where they end up.
OS and applications need to be moved as one, or you need to do a full reinstall of all these applications.
Is there a way to clone my old drive and the OS to my new one? I have tried before with multiple bits of software including Macrium Reflect and Acronis but because of corrupt bits of data it wouldn’t let me do this is what I resorted to...

USAFRet

Titan
Is there a way to clone my old drive and the OS to my new one? I have tried before with multiple bits of software including Macrium Reflect and Acronis but because of corrupt bits of data it wouldn’t let me do this is what I resorted to...
From a corrupt OS, no.

Cloning only works when conditions are perfect.
Given an already broken OS, your only recourse is a clean install. The OS and all your applications.

For the stuff on the old drive...find your personal files you wish to keep, copy those elsewhere, and then wipe that drive fully.

Mar 31, 2020
I want
If you have data files on the HDD that you want....you are going to have to find them and either leave them there (so you can have access to them) or move them somewhere and then clean the HDD to use for something else.
I want to keep my files on the HDD such as photos and Uni work but put my software such as Office programs and games onto the new SSD. If once I’ve reinstalled all my programs, can i just delete the program files folder on the HHD and all my personal data still be safe on that HDD?

I want

I want to keep my files on the HDD such as photos and Uni work but put my software such as Office programs and games onto the new SSD. If once I’ve reinstalled all my programs, can i just delete the program files folder on the HHD and all my personal data still be safe on that HDD?
It depends WHERE the data files are on the HDD.
If they are in the program folder then you will delete them if you delete the program folder.
This is what I would do.
I would reinstall the programs on the SSD.
Then I would search for all my data files on the HDD and move them to a USB stick.
Then I would clean the HDD and use it for data.
You could actually move all your data files back to the HDD after you clean it.

USAFRet

Titan
I want

It is MUCH easier and safer to find your personal files, move them elsewhere temporarily, and then wipe that HDD.
Rather than trying to selectively remove "Program Files", etc.
There is a whole bunch of other things on that drive that are just taking up space.

After, move those files back to the now empty HDD.

Mar 31, 2020
From a corrupt OS, no.

Cloning only works when conditions are perfect.
Given an already broken OS, your only recourse is a clean install. The OS and all your applications.

For the stuff on the old drive...find your personal files you wish to keep, copy those elsewhere, and then wipe that drive fully.
Sorry if this sounds really basic, but I’m still quite Alien to this... What counts as personal files on my hard drive? What folders would they be saved in? I’ve got lots of stuff aswell as save files but i don’t know where they would save on default...

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry if this sounds really basic, but I’m still quite Alien to this... What counts as personal files on my hard drive? What folders would they be saved in? I’ve got lots of stuff aswell as save files but i don’t know where they would save on default...
Personal files - Stuff that YOU downloaded or created.
Doc/music/videos...stuff like that.
Save files for games? You'll have to look around. There is no one central place.

(conditions like this is where a good backup routine would have saved hours and hours of work)

Mar 31, 2020
Personal files - Stuff that YOU downloaded or created.
Doc/music/videos...stuff like that.
Save files for games? You'll have to look around. There is no one central place.

(conditions like this is where a good backup routine would have saved hours and hours of work)
I did create a recovery drive if that’s of any help :/

Mar 31, 2020
For Steam games, somewhere in the Steamapps/common/WhateverGame folder.

For instance, Portal2
/Steamapps/common/portal2/portal2/save/long sting of numbers/*.sav

or Quake
/Steamapps/Common/Quake/ld1/s0.sav

For other things, look around. There is no default.
What do save files look like? What extensions am I looking for? E.g .exe