[SOLVED] How do I move programs from old HDD to New SSD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 31, 2020
So I bought a 500gb SSD for my system to upgrade and speed up my system, however I was not able to clone my old HHD because there were some corruptions etc etc... Instead I downloaded a fresh install of Windows OS to the SSD and booted it from there (at the moment the old hard drive does still have an OS on it) I assumed when I loaded up, i would be able to use my old apps and files from the old HDD right away but I have since discovered in forums and YT that this isn’t the case. In fact although the Programs and files are all there on the HDD, I cannot use them in the same manner as if i Boot in the HHD. Is there a way I can move all my Programs, files and data from the HDD to the SSD and it work like before?

If I need extra software, I don’t mind spending up-to about 5/6 quid but I can’t afford some 50 quid bit of software

Thnx :)

Solution
Typically, .sav files.

This whole topic sounds a lot like you have important personal files like photos and university work that aren't backed up properly. That's a much bigger problem than not getting to use your new SSD.

Fix that more pressing concern and this becomes a much simpler issue. Generally speaking, people use the 3-2-1 rule: a minimum of 3 copies of every important file, on at least 2 different mediums/devices, and at least 1 off-site. This is basic PC ownership stuff, like changing the filter in your furnace or the oil in your car. Right now, what you're doing is worrying about the new stereo you want to install in your car when you've been driving on the same oil for 20,000 miles.
Mar 31, 2020
Just one more thing,
What do I do about software I have on my old hard drive but no longer have the location of the product key to reinstall it on the new drive?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Typically, .sav files.

This whole topic sounds a lot like you have important personal files like photos and university work that aren't backed up properly. That's a much bigger problem than not getting to use your new SSD.

Fix that more pressing concern and this becomes a much simpler issue. Generally speaking, people use the 3-2-1 rule: a minimum of 3 copies of every important file, on at least 2 different mediums/devices, and at least 1 off-site. This is basic PC ownership stuff, like changing the filter in your furnace or the oil in your car. Right now, what you're doing is worrying about the new stereo you want to install in your car when you've been driving on the same oil for 20,000 miles.

Reactions: HenryHart
Solution
Mar 31, 2020
Typically, .sav files.

Okay, how do I backup the old HDDdrive right now?
I hadn’t noticed anything was wrong with my hard drive, I just went to add an SSD when i discovered it wouldn’t clone because of some corruption in the partitions. I keep personal photos in three different mediums because they are most significant to me one of which is offline on separate storage media, however not the rest of my PC.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay, how do I backup the old HDDdrive right now?
I hadn’t noticed anything was wrong with my hard drive, I just went to add an SSD when i discovered it wouldn’t clone because of some corruption in the partitions. I keep personal photos in three different mediums because they are most significant to me one of which is offline on separate storage media, however not the rest of my PC.
First, invent a time machine.
Backups are to be done before the BadThing happens.

People don't think about backups until about 5 minutes after they need it.

Software you no longer have the license key for?
Again, a time machine. Go back in time, and document all those on a txt or Excel file.
Save that somewhere.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Your best bet is to search your old emails for license keys that were emailed to you and for those you can't find, contact the original company.

It's important to keep all this information. Hard drives are not permanent places to install things; you have to be prepared for a hard drive to die at any moment, from 10 minutes after you get it to 10 years.

Reactions: HenryHart
Mar 31, 2020
First, invent a time machine.
Backups are to be done before the BadThing happens.

People don't think about backups until about 5 minutes after they need it.

Software you no longer have the license key for?
Again, a time machine. Go back in time, and document all those on a txt or Excel file.
Save that somewhere.
Well the hard drive is still in one piece and functioning. I did backup about 6 months ago. Nevermind about the Apps with no product key then :(

Mar 31, 2020
- BEST OPTION: Easiest way would be to reinstall all programs on the SSD once you have wiped/cleaned the HDD; as for games, you would only lose progress on offline games as those require save files.

- TEDIOUS OPTION: If you really want to save your progress in an offline game, you would need to use a USB or external hard drive (EHD) and cut or copy/paste these files onto the drive. Depending on how many games you have this could take a while. This is also a good option if you want to save all files on your HDD and the look through all of them later with your EHD.

Best way to delete all files off HDD

Last edited: