Question How do I move the 50MB System Reserved partition from my HDD to my main boot SSD?

Aug 11, 2022
I don't know how it happened, but it's not letting me convert my SSD to GPT because there's a system partition on a HDD that I only use for games and stuff. I added in this drive a couple months after building the PC, so there's no way there should be any system files on it. (Also the numbers got swapped for some reason, my main SSD is now Disk 1 and my backup HDD is Disk 0). Unplugging the HDD leaves my PC unable to boot, even though I have my SSD set as the boot drive in BIOS.

dJXPX3P.png

Are you sure that's the issue preventing the conversion?
If you boot in legacy and installed windows in legacy then it would also not let you.

The bios always uses the disk that is on the lowest physical sata port as the boot device, your HDD is on a lower sata port than your ssd.

The 50Mb partition is there for older software/bios that doesn't understand GPT so they have an area to write to, don't delete it, it is not responsible for any of this.

There are too many things that complicate matters for anybody to give you any solid help on the conversion, why are you trying to do it anyway?

Open your case disconnect the hhd put the ssd on port 1 or 0 depending on the motherboard, put it on the lowest. Run windows installation media and try automated repair to see if it will make it bootable on its own.
Then even if you reconnect the hhd (on a higher number port) it will boot from the ssd.

Aug 11, 2022
Are you sure that's the issue preventing the conversion?
If you boot in legacy and installed windows in legacy then it would also not let you.

The bios always uses the disk that is on the lowest physical sata port as the boot device, your HDD is on a lower sata port than your ssd.

The 50Mb partition is there for older software/bios that doesn't understand GPT so they have an area to write to, don't delete it, it is not responsible for any of this.

There are too many things that complicate matters for anybody to give you any solid help on the conversion, why are you trying to do it anyway?

Open your case disconnect the hhd put the ssd on port 1 or 0 depending on the motherboard, put it on the lowest. Run windows installation media and try automated repair to see if it will make it bootable on its own.
Then even if you reconnect the hhd (on a higher number port) it will boot from the ssd.

Running Aomei Partition tells me that I can't convert from MBR to GPT because the system and boot partitions are on separate disks. Even though in BIOS I have my SSD as my boot drive, unplugging the HDD makes my PC unable to boot.

Running Aomei Partition tells me that I can't convert from MBR to GPT because the system and boot partitions are on separate disks. Even though in BIOS I have my SSD as my boot drive, unplugging the HDD makes my PC unable to boot.

TRENDING THREADS