Question How do I overclock a locked CPU on an OEM board?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, so with regards to bottlenecking it is not exactly a huge bottleneck but I am definitely loosing in excess of 10% of my FPS (on the overclocked R9 290) in heavy CPU bound and Modern titles.
No. You aren't.
The cpu takes the game code, uses it to place every object, figure out Ai, do all the processing etc for every frame and then sends all that data to the gpu. THAT is your FPS Limit, the amount of times the cpu can accomplish doing everything for one frame in one second.

The gpu has to create the picture from that data according to detail settings and resolution. It either can or cannot do that.

What you get from a cpu is it, that's the number. FPS is set by the CPU, not the GPU. Just because your gpu might be capable of more does not mean the cpu is bottlenecking it, it just means in those games the gpu has extra resources. In other games it may not and be the bottleneck for cpu fps output.

You aren't loosing anything. You just have a gpu capable of more in those titles. I'd rather have that and be able to play at Ultra, than a fully capable cpu and a gpu requiring Medium settings just to keep up the fps.

Andrewbandrew05

Prominent
Jun 30, 2019
So I have a laptop with a locked intel CPU in a locked intel motherboard. I did some research and tried my best to find a way to OC it. Turns out, no one knows how to (at least for the 8th gen processors). I do believe that there are some gens of Intel CPUs in which you can increase the BCLK or multiplier (forget which) allowing one to actually OC. I don't know if yours falls under this, but as I believe it was something mobo makers programmed in I'm pretty sure your mobo can't do it. If you want to try you could download Throttlestop and see what happens, there's a BCLK and FCLK button that if pressed will crash your computer if you have a locked CPU (I think). I'd just google and see what you can find. You also maybe could try programming it into the BIOS in assembly. It would be super dangerous to your PC, but I'd assume you could look at the BIOS download for you MOBO and see if you can find something that talks about BCLK or FCLK, google a bunch, and then try changing it. Finally, I think I heard about something where with some locked Intel processors people were able to run some commands to unlock them.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
So I have a laptop with a locked intel CPU in a locked intel motherboard. I did some research and tried my best to find a way to OC it. Turns out, no one knows how to (at least for the 8th gen processors). I do believe that there are some gens of Intel CPUs in which you can increase the BCLK or multiplier (forget which) allowing one to actually OC. I don't know if yours falls under this, but as I believe it was something mobo makers programmed in I'm pretty sure your mobo can't do it. If you want to try you could download Throttlestop and see what happens, there's a BCLK and FCLK button that if pressed will crash your computer if you have a locked CPU (I think). I'd just google and see what you can find. You also maybe could try programming it into the BIOS in assembly. It would be super dangerous to your PC, but I'd assume you could look at the BIOS download for you MOBO and see if you can find something that talks about BCLK or FCLK, google a bunch, and then try changing it. Finally, I think I heard about something where with some locked Intel processors people were able to run some commands to unlock them.
And after all that, it will still never approach the capabilities of a 10th gen i3.
Not even close.

Andrewbandrew05

Prominent
Jun 30, 2019

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Afaik, all cpus share an adjustable BCLK. It's how the motherboard software OC works. I know Asus starts out at like 103.7, then a second stage at 105.3 I believe. The problems there is stability since vcore can't be increased higher than its default values, the increased heat can become an issue, and BCLK affects a bunch more items including pcie buss which in turn affects all communications with storage and its parameters. BCLK was open front buss until 6th gen (not sure on that exactly) so affected ram speeds too, but 6th+ that was chopped along with some other components, so no longer changes with BCLK adjustments.

Which is probably why Intel recommended values remain at 100.00 for BCLK, but vendors/AIB partners are free to do as they wish with their products and software.

Andrewbandrew05

Prominent
Jun 30, 2019
Afaik, all cpus share an adjustable BCLK. It's how the motherboard software OC works. I know Asus starts out at like 103.7, then a second stage at 105.3 I believe. The problems there is stability since vcore can't be increased higher than its default values, the increased heat can become an issue, and BCLK affects a bunch more items including pcie buss which in turn affects all communications with storage and its parameters. BCLK was open front buss until 6th gen (not sure on that exactly) so affected ram speeds too, but 6th+ that was chopped along with some other components, so no longer changes with BCLK adjustments.

Which is probably why Intel recommended values remain at 100.00 for BCLK, but vendors/AIB partners are free to do as they wish with their products and software.
I thought that wasn't the case for locked cpus?

As in intel did not let people edit the bclk?

ASK THE COMMUNITY