Question How do I overclock RAM?

Budgeteer_262

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
Hi All,

I find Overclocking RAM really daunting because some say it's better to reduce timings rather than frequency and some argue the contrary.

I have two 1gb Samsung ddr3 1333Mhz modules which I would like to optimise on a b85m-e Asus motherboard.

However, I'm also getting tons of options like Primary, secondary and tertiary timings which I'm not sure what to do with.

How much do I initially boost ram voltage to? 1.65V? Do I increase freq and then reduce timings or the other way around? Do I only worry about Primary timings?

What other setting should I be changing to repare for overclocking and increase its stability?

Also, what programs can I use to benchmark ram performance after overclocks?

And should I leave BLCK dram ratio on Auto, 100:100 or 133:100? What does it do? It doesn't visibly change cpu core /mem freq in bios.

My primary timings with BLCK set to Auto are: 9.9.9.24.1

Please give me advice emphasising performance over stability because I'm only scraping the barrel of an old system to get streaming assets on csgo to load faster. I get bad fps and spikes on the first few rounds of a match. Already overclocked ram.

I'm not getting more dram (for the purposes of this question)

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Budgeteer_262

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
Disclaimer: I am running windows 11 and I am getting more ram but I want to understand how to overclock so I am using these 1gb modules as lab rats.

I just said that I'm not getting anymore for the purposes of this question to avoid people telling me to get more rather than providing guidance on overclocking.

Even if the early game lag and spikes can't be fixed by overclocking, I'd still appreciate knowing how to do it and what to do so I can optimise my system, and so I know what to do with my 8gb modules when I get them.

Thanks

Disclaimer: I am running windows 11 and I am getting more ram but I want to understand how to overclock so I am using these 2gb modules as lab rats.

I just said that I'm not getting anymore for the purposes of this question to avoid people telling me to get more rather than providing guidance on overclocking.
guideance hmmm
at start you gonna need to know what ram IC you have (thosr black squares on ram modules), to know what you can expect from those ICs (hard physical limits based on google searches with those ICs)
then you gonna need to know what ram controller you have (to get some hard limits controller is capable of)
then you will need to learn how ram works
here are some basics https://www.anandtech.com/show/3851...ow-about-sdram-memory-but-were-afraid-to-ask/

with that knoledge, you should then be able to calculate ram timings

Samsung modules:

Ram IC Model: SEC 116 HCH9
K4BIG0846F

GNC901HEC

Ram controller model: I don't know yet because it's quite hard to read.

Here is the Samsung spec sheet for the module:

https://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/8199179884605572462

There is a vast amount of information in it and I don't know where it says which "SPD" I have.

I'm still working on it.

My ram modules are called" M378B2873FH0-CH9
ram controller should be in cpu

Budgeteer_262

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
Oh, I thought that It was the tiny ic next to the large ones on the ram pcb.

Using i7 4790S with b85 chipset. I'm working on finding the ram controller specs.

I do know that the ram controller can do up to 1600Mhz dual channel so far.

Budgeteer_262

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
Searching the ram IC name (long code) in google is not yielding much other than the Samsung spec sheet. What kind of hard limits am I looking to find for the ram IC modules?

According to the sheet, I shouldn't exceed 1.975v on the ram but I wouldn't go much above 1.75 anyway because I don't have a heat spreader.

Searching the ram IC name (long code) in google is not yielding much other than the Samsung spec sheet. What kind of hard limits am I looking to find for the ram IC modules?

According to the sheet, I shouldn't exceed 1.975v on the ram but I wouldn't go much above 1.75 anyway because I don't have a heat spreader.
searching for samsung f-die also doesnt bring any results, but that spec sheet lists timings for 1600 speed bin

btw 1.575v is max safe voltage with this ram

Budgeteer_262

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
So based on the linked article, the timings need to mostly stay in proportion with the frequency of the ram.

I'm thinking of overclocking to 1600Mhz and then reducing timings from there. Assuming that's the best course of action, do I first need to:

Increase to 1.575V
Loosen timings in proportion with 1600Hz
and then make the overclock?

Also, currently looking at the page you specified.

Budgeteer_262

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
Base-ram-performance.png

The above is an AIDA64 bench of a basic 800 mhz xmp profile.

1600-Mhz-stable.png

This bench is with 1600Mhz xmp applied @1.575v.

At base 1333Mhz, the timings are 9.9.9.24.1

I guess, I will now try, one by one, to reduce them to that 9.9.9.24.1 timing while maintaining 1600Mhz @1.575v?