[SOLVED] how do i pinpoint the fault ? - random feeze and reboot loop

philippeb90

Honorable
Oct 5, 2015
Ok.
So my pc keeps freezing up, then goes into black screen and jams.

Fans are running, light on the MB and so, but i can see on my keyboard that its not "working".
Its only powering the devices and seems to be kinda rebooting over and over in a short loop.

Im having trouble how to approach this fault.
Current setup.

Gigabyte b450 - new
1600x amd - old 2 years
Rx580 - old 2 years
2tb Seagate - new
512 ssd Evo - new

The problem is, the lockup happends somtimes when i am using it for browsing and somtimes when gaming.
Stresstest dosent force the fault.

Only thing that is consistent is - it allways happends when i "click" or use the keybord.
The second i press somthing it freezes, never happend when idle.

Fault happends once a week or around 100 mark hour.

Anyone has any ideas on how to approach the fault?
Ive tried the windows log, i just marks it down as a poweroff.

Solution
if a new psu is your best bet, id better go and try it out.
- i hope your right, the hydraulic steering just broke on my car this morning, so im gonna kill myself if i have more expenses soon :sleep:
Understood on expenses. Just take a deep breath. It will be okay.

Swapping the PSU is not guaranteed to solve the problem. You are very much under-powered and that will cause these sorts of issues.

Before you go out for a new PSU, are your AMD chipset drivers installed and up to date?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

Same for video drivers?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580

And, your motherboard BIOS (need exact model number to...

philippeb90

Honorable
Oct 5, 2015
I will get the model of psu monday.
Doing 10-13 hours work a day to keep things going for the company while this virus thing is going on :(

Anyhow, i did a memtest.
The ram is also completely new, forgot them
3200mhz corsair vengance 2x 16 gb.

PSU is actually only 400w i was worried about this a little bit but i took a reading on the power output of my wall, and i only goes as far as 320w in the outer side.

I dont overclock anything.
and i have throttle on 80 degree celcious on GPU and CPU.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I will get the model of psu monday.
Doing 10-13 hours work a day to keep things going for the company while this virus thing is going on :(

Anyhow, i did a memtest.
The ram is also completely new, forgot them
3200mhz corsair vengance 2x 16 gb.

PSU is actually only 400w i was worried about this a little bit but i took a reading on the power output of my wall, and i only goes as far as 320w in the outer side.

I dont overclock anything.
and i have throttle on 80 degree celcious on GPU and CPU.
A 400w PSU is far too little for a RX580. You really need a quality 500w PSU to power it and your system.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-580

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Okay.
How do i determine if that is the fault?

When i measure the watt it dosent go above 320w at any point.

And it would suck to buy a new psu and still have the error present :)
The RX580 will draw more power from the PSU than it can handle, when under load.

Swapping in an adequate, working PSU is the way to test it.

What is the exact make/model of your PSU (should be on label on side of unit)? How old is the PSU?

While this PSU may have worked for a period of time, if it was overdrawn consistently it may be failing.

philippeb90

Honorable
Oct 5, 2015
its a Gigabyte 400 pw 80plus

The psu is actually only 2-3 months old.

Besides, i can run Heaven Bencmark fullblown with no issues (besides the 20-30 fps lol).

How come it wont crash there, but can crash when i just browse google?

philippeb90

Honorable
Oct 5, 2015
The RX580 will draw more power from the PSU than it can handle, when under load.

Swapping in an adequate, working PSU is the way to test it.

What is the exact make/model of your PSU (should be on label on side of unit)? How old is the PSU?

While this PSU may have worked for a period of time, if it was overdrawn consistently it may be failing.

- i hope your right, the hydraulic steering just broke on my car this morning, so im gonna kill myself if i have more expenses soon :sleep:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Understood on expenses. Just take a deep breath. It will be okay.

Swapping the PSU is not guaranteed to solve the problem. You are very much under-powered and that will cause these sorts of issues.

Before you go out for a new PSU, are your AMD chipset drivers installed and up to date?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

Same for video drivers?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580

And, your motherboard BIOS (need exact model number to locate that)?

Solution

philippeb90

Honorable
Oct 5, 2015
Well, i havent updated some of the software to the latest version since there is a lot of bugs with the installer.
Had a lot of issues with the 1720 error, then 0% progression error and ended up using a november 19 version that functioned.

Shouldent be a problem though.

I dont use raid and havent installed that.

Video drivers are up to date, and bios i havent touched.

I can try and update the bios though and see what happends :)

BUT - if im actually that underpowered i might aswell just go and get a new psu.

Was thinking about getting a Gigabyte G750H 80 GOLD.
that would be enough i guess ?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Well, i havent updated some of the software to the latest version since there is a lot of bugs with the installer.
Had a lot of issues with the 1720 error, then 0% progression error and ended up using a november 19 version that functioned.

Shouldent be a problem though.

I dont use raid and havent installed that.

Video drivers are up to date, and bios i havent touched.

I can try and update the bios though and see what happends :)

BUT - if im actually that underpowered i might aswell just go and get a new psu.

Was thinking about getting a Gigabyte G750H 80 GOLD.
that would be enough i guess ?
Yes, that would be a better PSU. You should update the drivers and BIOS. It may improve performance.