How do I play subtitles on my BRAVIA TV?

comprocks

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
Hello everyone,
I have a Bravia KDL-46W950A

I tried playing subtitles on it from a USB drive on a 2D movie with a .srt file but it said 'Unsupported content' and displayed boxes with question marks inside.

I tried playing subtitles on a 3D movie with .sub and .idx files also. This time it said no such thing, but subtitles did not display either.

I had pressed the subtitles button on the remote and it showed 'Subtitle: 1' but it still does not display subtitles. I changed the subtitle files' names to the exact movie name as well before plugging in the USB, the problem still occurs. These files play fine with VLC on the PC and since the TV supports it, I am wondering why it is having such a problem.

Now, before you start saying that BRAVIA TVs don't support external subtitles, let me tell you that I went to the TV's i-Manual and that took me to a list of supported file formats.
[See screenshot here: http://postimg.org/image/5ncgrowp7/ . I tried getting the link to the page, but could not find it.]

How do I use subtitles with my TV?

comprocks

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014

I do have the subtitle files if that's what you mean.

In the Oringinal Post, I have mentioned that in 2D, with the .srt file, it shows an 'Unsupported content' dialog and then displays boxes with question marks inside for the subtitles but the movie plays fine.

I got the movies from a friend in 1080p and I just googled for the .srt file and found it. As I said the .srt works fine on the PC but not the TV.

I converted the subtitles (.srt file) to its 3D version (.sub and .idx files) using 3D Subtitler so it shows the subtitles on both images in Side-by-Side view. The .sub and .idx also work on the PC but not the TV.

I copied the 2D movie and the .srt file into one folder and the 3D movie and the .sub and .idx files into another folder of the USB.
The subtitles, as I have already said before, work on the PC (from the USB).

Check out this small summary in case I wasn't clear enough:

Subtitle format: 2D: .srt ; 3D: .sub and .idx
Movie format: .mp4 for both 2D and 3D

UPDATE: I changed the encoding to UTF-8 in the subtitle options on the TV and now th subtitles are fine for the 2D movie, however, it still says 'Unsupported content' but the movie plays fine and the subtitles also work for 2D.
Moving on to the 3D movie, how do I use subtitles for that?

UPDATE 2: I converted the file using http://subtitle3d.com/ and downloaded Advanced Substation Alpha format (.ass). The subtitles now work, even for the 3D movie!! One question though, why does the TV say "Unsupported content' when playing the 2D movie even though the subtitles are now working fine?

UPDATE 3: Forget it. That problem does not occur with other movies and disappeared as soon as I used a different .srt file. Also, there is no need to use the link in 'UPDATE 2' as 2D subtitles also work with 3D movies. Hmph. Seems I resolved my problem on my own. Anyway, thanks for the help.