How do I proceed on transferring files and programs from a Windows 7 drive without the OS to a Windows 10 drive?

VegetaSuperGaming

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
OK,let me describe my situation clearly.

My SSD Dilemma.

As you can see,I obviously have 2 hard drives,one an SSD and one a HDD.The SSD is pretty much empty besides having Windows 10 on it and the HDD has all the programs and files I want to transfer to the SSD.I searched all over the internet but could not find a solution to my specific situation.

If anyone can help me,that would be great.

Thank you.

P.S.Need more information?Just ask for it.

Solution

The files you can transfer. Doc/Music/Video/Pics.
Programs and applications can't be transferred. They need to be reinstalled with the new OS on the SSD.

USAFRet

Titan

The files you can transfer. Doc/Music/Video/Pics.
Programs and applications can't be transferred. They need to be reinstalled with the new OS on the SSD.

Solution

VegetaSuperGaming

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
Thanks for the quick replies!

But what if some of them can't be downloaded without like a license or something(Word,Excel,Ofifice 2007)?What do I do then?

Also,I can still boot off of my other drive,right?Even if I took it from an old computer and put it in a new one?

USAFRet

Titan

"But what if...."
There is no option. They need to be installed with the new OS.
Do you have the license key for your Office install?

Booting off your old drive? That is a distinct 'maybe'. It might work, it might not.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from VegetaSuperGaming : "How do I proceed on transferring files and programs from a Windows 7 drive without the OS to a Windows 10 drive?"

Last question first: It might boot, but drivers will be for the old motherboard, and that can cause issues with the new hardware, so, not recommended.

The software that requires a license will still require that license. You should be able to re-install with the original media, but you will HAVE to have the license in order to actually activate and run them

USAFRet

Titan

You can put that old system back together and maybe boot it up.
See what you have installed.

If it runs, install and run Belarc Advisor. It will give you a readout of applications and their associated licenses.

VegetaSuperGaming

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
:(

Anyway,I'll try to run BelArc Advisor on the other computer to get a list of programs, write those programs down(with their individual product keys) and uninstall them from that computer and re-install them on the new computer, using the same product key(which, I hope, is what I'm supposed to be doing).Thanks for the advice guys.

VegetaSuperGaming

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
So...that half-worked.I got all the programs and their product keys from Belarc Advisor but I can't figure out how to install Office Enterprise 2007 for the life of me. Anybody have a solution?Even if I enter the product key to install Office 2007,it doesn't work.Why?Why can't anything work?

USAFRet

Titan

Office 2007 Enterprise?
What exactly does it say when it fails to activate?

Enterprise may need to talk to a corporate licensing server.

If you are not on the same network as the corporate owner, it will not work.

VegetaSuperGaming

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

Could you explain please?

USAFRet

Titan

An Office Enterprise license is only available through a Volume Licensing agreement. Generally, this is from your employer.
To validate, that install and license needs to talk to the corporate server to validate.

Where did you obtain this Office 2007 Enterprise?

VegetaSuperGaming

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

Oh...so it's like a "Business Edition" of Microsoft Office.More trouble.Great. grumble

Anyway,I'll try to find the source of it.It'll take pretty damn long,but that's life.

VegetaSuperGaming

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

I signed up for VL.It says I need an authorization and license number.Where can I find those?

Also,the business email I provided is not affiliated with VL. :??: I'm stumped.

USAFRet

Titan

Not "like"..."is".

To validate and activate, it needs to talk to its relevant corporate server.

VegetaSuperGaming

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

But it's funny that only Belarc recognizes it as "Enterprise".The folder name doesn't have "Enterprise" in it.

Untitled_zpsoys0t6sz.png

USAFRet

Titan

The folder name won't have Enterprise.
But Groove+Infopath+Publisher speaks to this being Enterprise.

And since your license key apparently does not work.....

Again...where did you originally obtain this?