Question How do I recover from a bad GPU flash ?

Budgeteer_262

Reputable
Jan 13, 2021
Hi,

I have a GTX 1650 and a GTX 590 in a system. The UEFI part of the 1650 VBIOS is preventing it from successfully POSTing on my aurora r3 motherboard due to crappy bios.

In hex editor I have modded the vbios to remove the UEFI part as per other forums on this issue. I have several instances of the healthy vbios dump backed up. How do I unbrick my 1650 in case of bad flash?

Can I use my GTX 590 from which to reflash bricked card or do I need to use pre prepped rufus flashing tool headlessly via usb? Got no igpu output.

Thank you

While the nVidia BIOS signature lock was broken just under a year ago, modding Turing BIOSes is still extremely experimental.

Basically, you can now flash any BIOS to anything, even modded ones, but the driver may refuse to load with a code 43 if it doesn't like something, so most of the discussion has been about crossflashing other vendors' unmodded BIOSes to change clocks. At least you could give it a try because now you can always flash back the original BIOS that you saved before starting to tinker.

The 590 can stay in place but you must be very careful to specify the correct PCIe address of the 1650 when flashing, to avoid unhappy accidents like flashing a 1650 BIOS onto the 590. Best to save the 590 BIOS too, just in case.

Without the UEFI part of the Hybrid BIOS, you'll have to enable CSM so the Legacy BIOS option ROM can be loaded on POST.