how do i reduce bandwith to wifi

miwin1000

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
I know this is a strange question, but how do I reduce the amount of bandwith my wireless connection allows to be used of my total bandwidth? there are bandwidth hogs in the house running my internet experience. I have a centurylink connection 12 mbps, with main computer connected by Ethernet, all other users are wireless.

Solution
First your router would have to have pretty advanced QoS settings to even try this.

The larger problem even routers with QoS do not have options to tell if the users are on wireless or on wired. By the time they get to the router chip it really can't tell the difference.

You almost have to do this yourself. First issue is going to be to load third party firmware. This means you must have a supported router. Almost all modem/router combos are not in the supported list. So lets assume you get a router running say dd-wrt. What you can do is assign the wireless network to a different vlan as the wired one. Now since the ip blocks are different you can identify where the users are coming from and try to set up some limitation...
First your router would have to have pretty advanced QoS settings to even try this.

The larger problem even routers with QoS do not have options to tell if the users are on wireless or on wired. By the time they get to the router chip it really can't tell the difference.

You almost have to do this yourself. First issue is going to be to load third party firmware. This means you must have a supported router. Almost all modem/router combos are not in the supported list. So lets assume you get a router running say dd-wrt. What you can do is assign the wireless network to a different vlan as the wired one. Now since the ip blocks are different you can identify where the users are coming from and try to set up some limitation with the QoS. It does not work well on some applications....utorrent in particular tends to not be limited easily.

Solution