How do I reformat a hard drive?

Joe12o

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Title basically says it all, but how can I reformat my hard drive? I have an old drive that got a virus on it and I'm running out of space on my new one. So I want to take EVERYTHING off, including the OS (Got windows 7 on my new one, old one had Vista) and be able to put games/other stuff on it without having the virus on it still.

Joe12o

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Could I start my computer in safe mode to lower the risk of the virus migrating?

TBH I never tried it that way but I would assume since less resources are available I would think so. But I never tried to format a drive in safe mode so can't be sure it would even work. But then again a hard drive formats when you put a raw drive in your machine.......... confused yet ? Give it try can't hurt.

Safe mode only loads a minimum number of drivers, just enough to get the PC up and running. since you are not trying to run any programs off the HDD to be formatted, I don't think you would have a problem with spreading the virus. Like swifty_morgan said:"Give it a try can't hurt."

Joe12o

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks for the help everyone. I formatted the drive in safe mode so does that mean I can use the drive safetly without worrying about the virus anymore?