[SOLVED] How Do i Remove Linux.With linux being the Only os

Dec 18, 2019
I have forgotten My password to my Linux mint Laptop. And I want to switch to windows anyway. a friend Swapped the laptop over. (we are no longer friends.) Because i was having some problems with it. Been like this for a few years. its restrictive and i want to return to windows. The only thing is The pc will not boot with a windows 10 boot drive in it. It just acts as if the entire computer is dead. I Want to Switch From linux to windows 10. Can you please help me?. I have Read The How to Remove linux. But The thing is This is not a dual boot. Linux is the only os

Solution
If your Linux OS still boots, you can zero the drive where it's installed, and it at least will prevent BIOS from booting Linux. Then you can configure proper boot device (USB/DVD) to install Windows.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
You don't "remove" an operating system, you install a new one over it. Part of the process of installing any operating system, when not dual booting, is to format the hard drive. This process will erase the current operating system (everything on the drive).

The basic idea is to make a Windows 10 bootable USB, set USB to be the first boot device in your BIOS, plug the USB drive in and boot your system.