[SOLVED] How do I remove unwanted/leftover files from the OS drive ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I want to clean up my PC abit...so I searched around to find a guide on how to clean the registry and unwanted/leftover files...

According to many sources, I should leave the registry alone, because cleaning it may cause problems...

For cleaning unwanted/leftover files in the OS drive, should I use CCleaner ? is it safe ? I am particularly interested in removing files under C:\Users\user-name\APPDATA\* ...

Any alternatives to CCleaner ?

USAFRet

Titan
I want to clean up my PC abit...so I searched around to find a guide on how to clean the registry and unwanted/leftover files...

According to many sources, I should leave the registry alone, because cleaning it may cause problems...

For cleaning unwanted/leftover files in the OS drive, should I use CCleaner ? is it safe ? I am particularly interested in removing files under C:\Users\user-name\APPDATA\* ...

What do you consider "unwanted/leftover files" ?
What drive is this on?
Why are you looking to do this?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I have used windows 10's DiskCleanup but it dopesn't fully clean what I want...

What do you consider "unwanted/leftover files" ?
Game/App config? files created in C:\Users\user-name\APPDATA\*

What drive is this on?
OS drive. Samsung 850 EVO SSD.

Why are you looking to do this?
it feels like it needs a cleanup..I have installed zillions of apps during the past 7? years...their leftovers are in the AppData folder...

Should I just delete my user account ?

No matter what cleaning tool you use always have a backup.
Assume something will go wrong.
I use ccleaner and it's registry cleaner and have never had a problem.
However my procedure is back it up/clean it up.

I don't think ccleaner will clean appdata with it's stock settings.
In the future play with revo uninstaller it seems to find things the stock uninstaller misses.