[SOLVED] How do I reset Search options in Windows 10

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Earlier today, I was trying to search for some files and windows showed me no results, I clicked "search options" and I set "size" to something I knew my files are, and surprisingly it showed all the results as it should (before I do it I thought windows search is Broken)

so now I know, there are some default search option settings which are VERY ANNOYING and basically filtering out what I search for, how do I get rid of all of it?

When I wanna search for example, for ".jpg" I want ALL FILES to show up regardless of size or date or ANYTHING ELSE, but windows has some filters over it which i don't remember I set them, the filters are there ALWAYS... and each time I wanna search I have to screw around a little, which is very annoying.
I just want windows search to be filter-less and show all there is, how do I do it?

this is the search options im talking about btw Imgur: The magic of the Internet

rgd1101

Don't
unless you are doing a saved search there is no default.
you are doing something wrong. show us the search box

edit: as far as I can tell there is no default unless you did something with regedit. if that the case, undo whatever you did.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
that is odd.
I wonder if its a conflict or something with a start up program

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

I don't know why or what would do it.

the unique problem I have is I am running win 11 and all the menus are different so I can run win 10 in a VM but I don't see where this menu is
4eQ0oaT.png

I will need to give VM access to PC to have any items to search for to get the search option to show on ribbon to see that menu, I see where it is but can't get to it. I don't know where it is in 11
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/94452-search-file-explorer-windows-10-a.html