Question How do I reset the BIOS on a Dell Vostro 1500?

Jun 21, 2024
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some help..

I bought a Dell Vostro 1500 for cheap on FB marketplace, it was advertised as "needing Windows"

This is the version with the Intel Core 2 Duo, 64bit CPU (also from the FB seller).

I thought I could install a lightweight version of Linux on it, but it turns out that the BIOS is password protected.
I tried disassembling it to find the CMOS battery, which I think I did, under a small removable panel was a flat round battery wrapped in plastic with 3 wires plugged into some kind of PCB board..

I unplugged it and left it unplugged for 20 minutes, then put it all back together. When I booted up I was still prompted for the BIOS system administrator password.

The seller is not reachable anymore.

Is there another way of properly resetting the BIOS or did I just unplug the wrong battery?

Thanks in advance.

the BIOS is password protected...seller is not reachable anymore.
this sort of scenario usually means you acquired a stolen device.
if their Facebook account no longer exists after the purchase, that is another good sign of this.

Tom's and its members cannot help with security bypass ventures of this sort.

you can contact Dell directly and see if they would offer any input on your situation, but there may not be much you do in this regard.

Reactions: FreakNorris
Jun 21, 2024
this sort of scenario usually means you acquired a stolen device.
if their Facebook account no longer exists after the purchase, that is another good sign of this.

Tom's and its members cannot help with security bypass ventures of this sort.

you can contact Dell directly and see if they would offer any input on your situation, but there may not be much you do in this regard.
I understand. Thank you for explaining

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost