How do I run dual monitors if my GPU has 1 HDMI port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKolapo00

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
I am getting 2 new monitors in a few weeks and I have a Gigabyte R9 290 and a Gigabyte UD3H motherboard. I have my HDMI cabled plugged into my GPU right now but this is with 1 monitor. When I get the new monitors and do a dual monitor setup how do I do it? If I have an HDMI spitter it just shows the same thing on both screens.

I was wondering if I have to use DVI for one and HDMI for the other, and if there will be any difference between them since im using different cables.

Also how do I do dual monitors anyways? Do I have to turn any settings on in my computer or just plug them both in and it will think it is one giant screen?

Solution
Don't use splitters. I just took a look at your card. It has two DVI ports, 1 HDMI, 1 Display port. So, My recommendation is use that two DVI ports for both monitors. No HDMI. Because If you use one HDMI and one DVI, the outputs may have a little color difference or quality difference. So, use both DVI ports for both mnitors

TheKolapo00

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014

Both the monitors im getting have 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, and 1 the plug I forgot the name of.

Here is the monitor im getting two of: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BZNDS0

My GPU only has 1 HDMI port. but it has 2 DVI ports.

dumisoft

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Don't use splitters. I just took a look at your card. It has two DVI ports, 1 HDMI, 1 Display port. So, My recommendation is use that two DVI ports for both monitors. No HDMI. Because If you use one HDMI and one DVI, the outputs may have a little color difference or quality difference. So, use both DVI ports for both mnitors

Solution

8ail3y

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015

yeah do that but still use DVI to HDMI cables in those two DVI ports because HDMI looks better than DVI.

Status
Not open for further replies.