[SOLVED] How do I run PCI Express 16 slots in 8x

Aug 19, 2019
In an old thread another forum member had the same problem I'm facing: when they installed their nvme m.2 to PCI Express 3.0 adapter, their graphics card in another PCI slot stopped working. The solution was:

I discovered than the motherboards socket LGA1150 can't drive more than 16 PCIe buses.
So I have to run my graphic card at 8x and my ssd at 8x too...

How do I do that please?

Thanks!

Solution
IF, IF, it's possible, to manually set that, then the option will be found in your BIOS settings. Most likely it would be found under the onboard devices configuration settings for PCI devices.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a way to manually configure that. Usually, that is an automatic feature that happens based on the board's design and configuration at the hardware and microcode level.

It would help to know what your board model is, and the rest of your hardware as well including the CPU model.
There should be a setting in the BIOS to limit the speed of the PCI-E slot...look in the manual or on the board makers website FAQ for details if you don't have the manual.

Also be aware that using some PCI-E slots can impact SATA ports so you may want to check for that in the manual as well.

Reactions: El-Ad
IF, IF, it's possible, to manually set that, then the option will be found in your BIOS settings. Most likely it would be found under the onboard devices configuration settings for PCI devices.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a way to manually configure that. Usually, that is an automatic feature that happens based on the board's design and configuration at the hardware and microcode level.

It would help to know what your board model is, and the rest of your hardware as well including the CPU model.

Reactions: El-Ad and TJ Hooker
Solution