How do I safely and efficiently overclock an I5 3570k

DR_N00B

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
I'll be honest... this is my first ever gaming rig (previous console gamer, I know I know ), and I want to get the best out of my rig. But I REALLY don't want to fry my first ever unlocked cpu. If anyone can explain how to overclock efficiently, and easily, you would be my hero! lol

I know proper cooling is a must. So that's already taken care of. I just need to know how to do the actual overclocking (safely and efficiently) :p

Also for now I have a hyper 212 evo in push/pull. I'll buy something more powerful in the future like a noctua nh d14, or a H100.

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to start. :bounce:

It's extremely easy, depending on your motherboard. I was playing around with the OC software that came with the ASRock Extreme4 this morning and went from stock 3.4 to 4.1 with a Evo in push only and stayed under 60C under load (used OCCT to test). All I did was click the "+" sign on the interface a couple times...

Per an article here at Tom's or Anand (don't have the link right now), the "sweet spot" was 1.1V, 4.2GHz.

Going to mess with it some more tonight.

willzzz

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

;)

Don't give him an article on overclocking Sandy Bridge. Ivy Bridge reacts very differently and must be treated differently.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5763/undervolting-and-overclocking-on-ivy-bridge

Try to keep your voltage as low as possible and see how far you can get.

j_e_d seems to be going the right way with his, I would be very happy with 4.4ghz, that should be equal to a 4.7ghz sandy bridge for most tasks.

Based on my limited and not expert overclocking experience on the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K you can use the board's auto-overclocking features just set the speed or I try 1.15v and that should allow you to hit 4.2GHz to 4.4GHz based on my experience overclocking my own Intel Core i5-3570K.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

jonboy79

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2012
Most of the new z77 boards from asus appears to have a feature that does it all for you by slowly ocing it then reboots then oc again until it finds a stable frequency. cool hey

Norsworthy

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
It's extremely easy, depending on your motherboard. I was playing around with the OC software that came with the ASRock Extreme4 this morning and went from stock 3.4 to 4.1 with a Evo in push only and stayed under 60C under load (used OCCT to test). All I did was click the "+" sign on the interface a couple times...

Per an article here at Tom's or Anand (don't have the link right now), the "sweet spot" was 1.1V, 4.2GHz.

Going to mess with it some more tonight.

Since playing can you now confirm? I was thinking of trying 4GHz @ 1.1V, or could I get away with less volts. Using MATX case so thermals aren't great.

Thanks!

geekyranj

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I am using a ASRock z77 extreme4 mobo and was able to easily overclock my 3570k to 4.4Ghz (auto 1.169-1.172 volts). All I did was, leave everything in auto and just change cpu ratio to 44 in the AXTU software inside widows. I checked the box to keep the settings whenever windows reboots. So now this updates the BIOS as well so the next time the machine booted I can the changes updated in the bios.

For the fans settings I kept the CPU fan 1's target speed at level 3 (1300 RPM) and the target temp to 50. This lets the fan to spin at 1300 RPM when there's no load and gradually ramp up when the CPU temp reaches above 50c. Now the rig is super quite under no load like when i am not gaming and just browsing.

Im using cooler master hyper 212 evo with just one fan that came along with it. The temperature was hovering around 69c to 72c under 100% load (prime 95). Considering the ambient temp of 27c this is very good I guess.

jonboy79

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2012
I am using a ASRock z77 extreme4 mobo and was able to easily overclock my 3570k to 4.4Ghz (auto 1.169-1.172 volts). All I did was, leave everything in auto and just change cpu ratio to 44 in the AXTU software inside widows. I checked the box to keep the settings whenever windows reboots. So now this updates the BIOS as well so the next time the machine booted I can the changes updated in the bios.

For the fans settings I kept the CPU fan 1's target speed at level 3 (1300 RPM) and the target temp to 50. This lets the fan to spin at 1300 RPM when there's no load and gradually ramp up when the CPU temp reaches above 50c. Now the rig is super quite under no load like when i am not gaming and just browsing.

Im using cooler master hyper 212 evo with just one fan that came along with it. The temperature was hovering around 69c to 72c under 100% load (prime 95). Considering the ambient temp of 27c this is very good I guess.

Right on the money shot there, thou i have heard from asus that prime 95 isn't the best platform to test on, due to it being designed for older chipsets and not using the newer technology. They did recommend another program that i can't remember now but it's more srable, but not to sure if it's free.

pifive

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007

AIDA64 stresses the new tech on new chips. Prime95 not. AIDA64

sKorcheD

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Yes asus actually told me prime95 will only cause excess heat because it will not use all parts of your processor, potentially even damaging it!! AIDA64 never prime on a sandy bridge or ivy. I hit 4.2 on my 3570k with only 1.195 volts, you never wanna go past 1.25 unless your watercooling on an ivy too btw.

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Hi mate. Im new to overclocking intel chips as i use to stick to amd. I found this simple guide and I easily achieved a 4.4ghz o/c without messing with anything hardly.

Set the CPU multiplier to 33.
Set the Offset to +0.005v. Set the Turbo Boost to +0.004v.
Reboot and run prime for 5 min and each time you pass prime then up the multiplier by 1.

I got to 4.5 before i failed prime so I backed it off to 4.4 and ran prime again for a good few hours. My cooler performs the same as yours and my temps at 4.4 just creep into 60c on a couple of cores. I hope this helps you or better still youve already achieve your desirable overclock

turbobooster

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
i just played around with my 3570k that i have now for a few days.
cpu ratio at 4.7 and vcore at 1.275v. and reached a temp on the highest core from 75 degrees under a h110.
tried 8 hourse prime95 with avx and had no problems.
the i put the voltage down to 1.255vcore and let prime95 with avx run again, 1 hour no problems, have to test is further.
in prime i used small fft

rdimacale

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Thought-provoking piece . Apropos , if your company needs to fill out a IRS 1098-T , my wife found a sample version here <code>http://goo.gl/thfkux</code>.

TRENDING THREADS