Question How do I safely under voltage the CPU?

Feb 24, 2019
Right I bought some DDR4 2x8gb G Skills Trident Z 4600mhz ram second hand and it works perfectly until I ran into a few blue screens while gaming so decided to underclock it to 3200mhz and it’s been fine ever since, occasionally a game will crash but no BSOD. I then realised that I’ve bought ram that runs at 1.5V and intels recommended maximum voltage is 1.35 V+5% (1.417 V). So I need advice on what to do, should I just unclock speed and voltage or is it a better idea to get new ram or new cpu - hit me with my options

Motherboard - MSI Z390i gaming edge
CPU - i7-8086k @ stock 4.0ghz
Ram - g skills trident z 4600mhz
Gpu - Asus strix rtx 2080
Storage - 970 pro 500gb Samsung (100% health)
2TB 860 pro samsung (100% health)
PSU - Corsair rm650x
Any more questions needed please ask away

Just because Intel recommends something doesn't make it true since they didn't make the motherboard.
The motherboard does clearly state it can handle 4600Mhz, where did you get this Intel recommendation from?

Secondhand ram, can be dodgy as you can see if you have problems
Underclocking/volting it won't do it any harm.
Just stick is at 1.25 @ 2666 and should be peachy!

If you run CPUZ it will give you more information on your RAM speeds etc

InvalidError

Titan
Just because Intel recommends something doesn't make it true since they didn't make the motherboard.
Intel may not make the mothrboard but the motherboard only provides wires from the CPU to the DIMMs and it is the CPU that has to drive those wires. The CPU plays a HUGE role in what memory clocks can be achieved without compromising stability, nearly as important as the DIMMs themselves.

Intel may not make the mothrboard but the motherboard only provides wires from the CPU to the DIMMs and it is the CPU that has to drive those wires. The CPU plays a HUGE role in what memory clocks can be achieved without compromising stability, nearly as important as the DIMMs themselves.
So what you are saying then, Intel has enforced a rule that NO RAM will run over 1.35V on any of their systems? I looked this up and couldn't see anything about it, but if you know this to be TRUE then please link me to where Intel say this.

Looking more and more at Overclocked systems for instance this one (of many examples online) -
Intel i7-6700K@ 4700 MHz @1.411v (measured) Uncore (cache) @4400 MHz
Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7
GSkill TridentZ 16 GB DDR4 3000/ 3733@15-16-16-31-48@1.450v (measured) <-------- notice ram is over the mentioned 1.417v

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
So what you are saying then, Intel has enforced a rule that NO RAM will run over 1.35V on any of their systems? I looked this up and couldn't see anything about it, but if you know this to be TRUE then please link me to where Intel say this.
It's not really a rule, just a recommendation. Intel rates their IMC for Skylake onward for voltage up to 1.35V, if someone wants to run it higher that's up to them.

Here's a source:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-memory-support,30185.html

Edit: Actually, the coffee lake data sheet just lists memory controller voltage as 1.2 V +- 5%.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
So what you are saying then, Intel has enforced a rule that NO RAM will run over 1.35V on any of their systems?
The "rule" you are searching for is called a specifications sheet. Intel's CPUs since Skylake are only specified for 1.25-1.35V memory voltage, anything outside that range is not guaranteed to work or be safe/sustainable. If you run the chip above 1.35 nominal memory voltage and blow it up, Intel can deny warranty coverage if it finds out.

Feb 24, 2019
The RAM will likely run stable at 3200mhz 1.35v depending on the timings. I would just lower the voltage to 1.35v and then find the fastest speed and lowest timings you can run stable, this will take some time and testing.
So just lower the voltage to 1.35V and run a stress test at different speeds to see how it works? Also newish to PCs so where does the timings come into it, I know little on that. Also can you recommend and good ram stress test

Feb 24, 2019
The motherboard does clearly state it can handle 4600Mhz, where did you get this Intel recommendation from?

Secondhand ram, can be dodgy as you can see if you have problems
Underclocking/volting it won't do it any harm.
Just stick is at 1.25 @ 2666 and should be peachy!

If you run CPUZ it will give you more information on your RAM speeds etc
Thanks for your advice but I was hoping to use the most out of my £300 RAM, if you’re saying I’ve got to use it at 2666 I may as well sell it and get some new sticks

Looking more and more at Overclocked systems for instance this one (of many examples online) -
Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7
GSkill TridentZ 16 GB DDR4 3000/ 3733@15-16-16-31-48@1.450v (measured) <-------- notice ram is over the mentioned 1.417v
That CPU is a few generations ago so would have a different recommended voltage which I’m not sure on and it also is a lot of luck on the “CPU lottery” sometimes people get crappy overclocking some get amazing, I’m not sure how much complicated BIOS settings comes into it too - he may have it all down, unfortunately I know minimal

Feb 24, 2019
The "rule" you are searching for is called a specifications sheet. Intel's CPUs since Skylake are only specified for 1.25-1.35V memory voltage, anything outside that range is not guaranteed to work or be safe/sustainable. If you run the chip above 1.35 nominal memory voltage and blow it up, Intel can deny warranty coverage if it finds out.
So do you have any advice for me pls

Feb 24, 2019
Feb 24, 2019

Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7
Actually you’ve got me thinking it may be my motherboard VRMS... i thought they was good in this motherboard but maybe and Aorus mb could handle it a bit better...

Feb 24, 2019
Right I bought some DDR4 2x8gb G Skills Trident Z 4600mhz ram second hand and it works perfectly until I ran into a few blue screens while gaming so decided to underclock it to 3200mhz and it’s been fine ever since, occasionally a game will crash but no BSOD. I then realised that I’ve bought ram that runs at 1.5V and intels recommended maximum voltage is 1.35 V+5% (1.417 V)

Motherboard - MSI Z390i gaming edge
CPU - i7-8086k @ stock 4.0ghz
Ram - g skills trident z 4600mhz
Gpu - Asus strix rtx 2080
Storage - 970 pro 500gb Samsung (100% health)
2TB 860 pro samsung (100% health)
PSU - Corsair rm650x

Can someone please give me a step by step advice on how to safely get this ram working perfectly? And any ram stress test software too. I would really like to get the speed as close to 4600mhz as possible

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
4600mhz is right on the edge for DDR4. In my opinion that RAM kit is for enthusiast overclokers looking to break benchmark records or something. The motherboard may support it but likely not without some tweaking and know how, a ram kit that fast will likely not work at it's rated speeds by simply turning on the XMP profile. Even if it did I certainly would not recommend you run that ram at 4600mhz 1.5v 24/7 for normal usage and gaming. I'm not so worried about if the motherboard will handle it but how the CPU's memory controller will over time.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
So do you have any advice for me pls
The 'recommendation' as far as RAM voltage is concerned is simple: don't run memory at much over 1.35V. As pointed out above, high voltage stupid-high-rating RAM is mostly for people aiming for overclock records and is a waste of money for pretty much anyone else. I'd return the memory and swap it out for DDR4-3200 or so to save the price difference.