[SOLVED] How do I set my TP-Link router up with Spectrum Modem?

Radriar

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
I have a spectrum modem with no wireless capabilities. I hooked up a TP-Link AC1200 to the modem and plugged my pc into the router via Ethernet. I cannot get Internet from the router via Ethernet or WiFi. I could only get a constant connection for about 20 minutes when I copied the MAC address from the router and manually entered it and then changed the operation mode to access point. When I changed it to access point, I couldn’t access the configuration page via default gateway. I had to reset the router. I have little idea what to do

Solution
In many cases you must power cycle a cable modem to get it to connect to a different device. I would unplug the router from the modem and power cycle it. After it appears to be up then plug in your router. The modem locks onto the very first mac address it sees. Not sure why changing the mac on the wan port of the router did not work but maybe you did it wrong somehow.
maybe the MAC was entered wrongly?
if you use a MAC filter, you will have to enter both MACs, your WIFI and ethernet MAC adresses

only change the router to AccessPoint mode, after that, the TP-LINK will disconnect the connection for up to a few minutes. Try reconnecting after this time.

In many cases you must power cycle a cable modem to get it to connect to a different device. I would unplug the router from the modem and power cycle it. After it appears to be up then plug in your router. The modem locks onto the very first mac address it sees. Not sure why changing the mac on the wan port of the router did not work but maybe you did it wrong somehow.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution