How do I set up a network for my business?

miket11

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hi, We have a two story building with a basement. I want to create a wireless internet connection in the building. I have so far wired internet in my main part of the building, also that same part of the building I have wireless but the signal is kind of weak.
can you guys please advise on hardware and how to wire it all up. Thanks

Solution
As advised by kanewolf you need a wireless access point for the other end/story of the building.

You can convert any router into an access point by manually assigning its ip address/gateway address, disabling DHCP, and hooking cable into LAN port (from primary router). You can find specific instructions on how to do this for many routers.

If this sounds really complicated/daunting then you should hire an outside technician. Assuming the Ethernet drop is already in place this should only take 1 hour for any technician to configure and optimize.
As advised by kanewolf you need a wireless access point for the other end/story of the building.

You can convert any router into an access point by manually assigning its ip address/gateway address, disabling DHCP, and hooking cable into LAN port (from primary router). You can find specific instructions on how to do this for many routers.

If this sounds really complicated/daunting then you should hire an outside technician. Assuming the Ethernet drop is already in place this should only take 1 hour for any technician to configure and optimize.

Solution