How do I set up a Slave HDD in the BIOS?

Solution
Do you want to use a SATA as primary and IDE as slave in Windows? if so then you do not need to set it to slave. all you need to do In the BIOS is under boot priority set the SATA as primary boot hard drive.When you install Windows just choose the SATA drive as the install drive.

If you have 2 IDE drives you need to set the jumper on the IDE drives one to master and one to slave. The jumper setting is on the hard drive.

If you only have one IDE Drive you should set it to master (jumper setting) even if you are going to use the SATA as the primary drive.

If you use a IDE CD/DVD drive set the jumper to master and the Hard drive to slave.

Now the master /Slave does not matter with SATA because you can set the SATA to boot frist and the...

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Do you want to use a SATA as primary and IDE as slave in Windows? if so then you do not need to set it to slave. all you need to do In the BIOS is under boot priority set the SATA as primary boot hard drive.When you install Windows just choose the SATA drive as the install drive.

If you have 2 IDE drives you need to set the jumper on the IDE drives one to master and one to slave. The jumper setting is on the hard drive.

If you only have one IDE Drive you should set it to master (jumper setting) even if you are going to use the SATA as the primary drive.

If you use a IDE CD/DVD drive set the jumper to master and the Hard drive to slave.

Now the master /Slave does not matter with SATA because you can set the SATA to boot frist and the IDE is just a extra drive.

Solution

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

So if I plug my IDE HDD and use my Sata one as master I do not need to modify anything?

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
If it works without changing anything, then yes. That is, if both your SATA and your IDE and any optical drives show as listed, then just adjust the BIOS to choose boot order. If one or more drives don't show in the list, then make sure that each IDE device is either Master or Slave per cable.

If you have a single IDE on each cable, then set the Hard Drive by itself to Master or Master w/o Slave. Set the IDE CD/DVD to Master on its own cable.

There's usually a tiny chart on the drive showing jumper settings to set Master, Slave or Master w/o Slave if avail. Otherwise, you have to check it out on the mfg website.

(If you look at my config, you can see I've set a few IDE drives in my life!!)

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

Were can I find the jumpers? and is it a problem if I use the cable that my DVD drive uses (lower part of the cable (DVD plugged into the one on top)?