How do i setup my new Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Mikeburdge

Reputable
Jun 5, 2016
Basically all i want put on my SSD is my operating system and a few games but when I put my SSD inside my computer and run the one-stop install navigator version 4.5 the only options are to migrate the data and samsung magician. If data migration is what I think it is then I will be transferring all the data from one dive to another instead of the proffered transferring parts of one drive to another. then there is data magician and honestly i dont know what that is meant to be used for. it seems like it monitors the drive and can change its performance. But what i really want to know is how would i set it up so i can have my Operating System and games on. By the way the reason why i havent copied and pasted stuff over is because its not appearing under This PC also I am using Windows 10. Sorry if its long but i wanted to get as much of my point out as I could.

Thank You for your reply

Michael Burdge

USAFRet

Titan

You can't transfer 'parts of it'.
With the Samsung Data Migration, you can leave off stuff like Video/Doc/Music.

Other than that...everything goes. There is n o pick and choose.

So...how much total used space is on your current C drive?
How much of that is doc/video/music/Steam games?
Do you have another drive...maybe an external USB drive?

Oh, and you can't just copy/paste the OS and applications. Put that mostly out of your mind.

Mikeburdge

Reputable
Jun 5, 2016

I have plenty of drives that i can use to store data e.g. 2 TB external 1 TB external 2 TB internal but they are all hard disk drives so i wanted a SSD to only put operating system and games on and chrome and so on.

the current drive with the operating system has 288GB of data while my ssd only has 232 GB of useable space

also i thought that was the case with the operating system.

Thank You

edit:
I know this would take some time so would it be possible to put all the data i don't want on my SSD from the C drive onto another drive then migrate all the data from the C drive onto the SSD?

USAFRet

Titan
OK....288GB of actual used space, and a 250GB SSD.
No problem.

So reduce your current used space to below 200GB.
Uninstall some applications, copy stuff off to other drives, delete old junk that lurks in your Download folder..however you get there...under 200GB.

Then, do this:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

This will move the entirety of what is on the C drive (again, less than 200GB) to the new SSD.
Assuming it works, the only difference you'll notice is the speed of the SSD...:)

Mikeburdge

Reputable
Jun 5, 2016

Thank for your help, ill try it right now.