Question How do I stop the original version/build of Windows 10 from updating?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 23, 2023
I'm sure this has been asked before, but for up-to-date/accurate information I have to ask again.
Already have O&O ShutUp10++ on the machine, but that seems to only work so much before things start getting turned back on.
Are there registry hacks I can do that will permanently disable Windows Update? Can I remove Windows Update somehow?

The computers are not yet hooked up to the internet. They are older systems which will be used for displaying multiple news feeds using Gridplayer.
22H2, 21H2 and 21H1 use too many system resources and after much testing this works best. Please don't tell me to use Linux, I don't have the patience for it!

Thanks for any help you can give!

Mar 23, 2023
Ubuntu has ran decently on any system I’ve tried it on including a laptop with 4GB RAM. In fact, I was able to host a local, lightweight game server and Samba server simultaneously. Aside from Ubuntu, I’ve really only used CentOS, Raspbian, and some specific purpose operating systems. You could boot from a USB without installing Ubuntu, just to test it out.

Edit: Saw that you are now using Lubuntu. Glad it’s working out for you.
I tried Linux Mint first because it is nice, but the results were just like Windows as someone mentioned before it's just like Windows. Even using older versions did not help. I wound up going with Lubuntu 16.04.10.

I'm not worried about the security too much. I am just using Gridplayer (https://github.com/vzhd1701/gridplayer) to pull news feeds. Very nifty little program I found. I have 9 streams I can pull at 1 time. I can do about 12 but things start getting unstable. They were unstable at 6 on Windows.

Thanks again for being funny and saying about Linux when I asked everyone not too. I guess deep down I knew that would be the answer and took it as a challenge.

Reactions: Cj-tech