How do I stop Windows 10 from being a disk-whoring piece of garbage?

RandomAnimeGamer

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Alright, so here's my predicament. Windows 8 introduced something in the OS kernel that hogs up your HDD access. I'm not sure what it was, but when upgrading to Windows 10 I expected this issue to be resolved. As you can see from the post title, it hasn't been resolved.

For whatever reason, Windows 10's OS Kernel (System and Compressed Memory) just LOVES to whore out my HDD, causing my computer to either freeze or lock up all of my applications until I restart my computer.

I have Googled this issue a lot and have tried the following: I've disabled Superfetch, disabled Windows Search, set my paging file system to automatic, set my paging file system to 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, and 16GB (I have 8GB DDR3 RAM), and ran an sfc /scannow /f /r during a restart. None of these work at all.

I've noticed that my HDD usage spikes up tremendously after login (Even if I wait a long time after startup) even though I disabled a ton of things from startup in my Task Manager Startup menu (Only things that are here are my Comodo AV, Zemana Anti Malware, and Glasswire Firewall). My disk usage also conveniently always spikes whenever I start up Steam and the culprit is almost always System and Compressed Memory. Not only this, but a Service Host of different kinds will always be directly under System and Compressed Memory.

Here's my specs:
Windows 10 Home Edition (64-bit)
Intel i7-4500U 1.8+2.4Ghz (Dual-Core Laptop CPU)
8GB DDR3 RAM (I believe 4x2, but I could be wrong)
Hard Drive: WDC WD5000LPVX-00V0TT0 (5400RPM HDD Western Digital: http://www.wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=1261&language=1)

Is there any way to stop Windows 10 from being a disk-whoring piece of garbage?

Solution
Sorry about that, @RandomAnimeGamer!
I just saw that you have already disabled these in the OP. Have you tried running a malware scan with your anti-virus software as well? You should also check the usage after performing a clean boot as well.
I'm also not sure if you have already run the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the Data LifeGuard Utility. These tests help you determine the health and SMART stats of the HDD in your laptop.
Here's an article from our kb that explains how to test the drive, using the DLG tool.

Keep us posted.
SuperSoph_WD
It could be a drive issue as well. Check in Windows event log (system section) for any potential errors that state "disk" as the reason. If that's the case, change the drive ASAP, as it might be failing. If no such log events exist, this drive is still just a mechanical drive, and only 5400 rpm at that. Getting even the cheapest SSD for a system drive would help tremendously.

RandomAnimeGamer

Commendable
May 17, 2016

Nothing there states disk as the reason. Even today when I had to do a hard-reboot (Holding power button for 15 seconds) it didn't log anything and the previous logs don't mention anything of the sort. Honestly, I don't have the money to buy a new hard drive and this is a laptop, so it would most likely be a bit difficult choosing since I have to also make sure it'll fit.

Regardless, Windows 10 shouldn't be accessing so much disk usage at once. I noticed some topics say to disable automatic defragmentation, but I've done that a long time ago and the issue happens today. I'll try running one tomorrow, but is there anything I can try as a backup in case that doesn't work?

RandomAnimeGamer

Commendable
May 17, 2016

The link you posted sends me to a complete white screen. I can't reinstall the OS at this time because I have no other machine to work off of and I have a lot going on this summer in terms of work. If it comes down to being an OS Problem (Which I'm sure it might be, if not being a complete Windows 10 problem since others who have done a complete reinstall have still experienced this issue), then I'll have to wait until I build a gaming PC to reinstall Windows 10 on this one.

I'm sorry about that, @RandomAnimeGamer!
Give this one a try then, or use the one @Colif posted.
However, make sure you backup your data somewhere off-site before proceeding with the troubleshooting. Better safe than sorry, right?
Since you have a laptop, it's going to be hard for us to establish whether or not the OS or the drive itself is the source of the issue. You could also try testing the WD Blue on another computer but tampering with the laptop's hardware will surely void its warranty!

Let us know what the SMART data results are.
SuperSoph_WD

RandomAnimeGamer

Commendable
May 17, 2016

I'm sorry for the late reply, I've been swamped with work! I did a Windows Performance Analysis while working on something using Adobe software (Since the freezes from the OS Kernel "System and Compressed Memory" are more evident while using those programs.) and will be using the troubleshooter that you linked to me by the end of this weekend!

EDIT: When looking at the data, it seems that it labels the majority disk usage just coming from a System process (Just labeled as System. No exe path or anything.) right under the performance analyzer (It's understandable why it'd need some disk usage.) I'll definitely look into the link you gave me, but I doubt it's a drive error and more of an error that comes from upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. As I've said in the OP, I've tried tons of things before, but they haven't solved a lot of people's problems with this (Mostly it just temporarily solves it before the issue comes back again) and I can't find a definitive solution besides giving the troubleshoot data when I'm able to. Would you be willing to let me know what risks I will be going through when it comes to using that tool? What would cause me to be forced to replace my hard drive when using the tool you linked to me?

Hey there again, RandomAnimeGamer!

I'd suggest you check your Windows Services then. Make sure you disable some of them and see if the performance and the disk usage will improve. Here's how:
press Windows+R > Write services.msc > Disable
1-Super fetch
2-Windows Search
3-Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Doing a backup before tampering with the storage is ALWAYS highly recommended!
However, WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics definitely shouldn't affect the HDD negatively, since it's specifically designed to monitor its health and even fix issues on the drive.
You could check how the drive will get recognized and how it will perform on another system, but as I already mentioned I'd not advise you tamper with the hardware on the laptop as you won't be able to possibly RMA it and get it replaced.

The best thing to do is check the warranty on the product and get in touch with the laptop's manufacturer.

SuperSoph_WD

RandomAnimeGamer

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Sorry for the late response again! Been super busy.

I believe I've already stated that I've disabled those services in the main post, but if not then this is me saying that now. HDD usage still goes up rapidly. Occasionally it's the System process, but sometimes it's also a Service Host (svchost) causing the usage to spike. What's strange is that it claims to only take up 0.5mbps and 100% HDD usage (where everything else is 0mbps) when I've seen apps take up less disk usage for tasks that require over 15mbps.

Sorry about that, @RandomAnimeGamer!
I just saw that you have already disabled these in the OP. Have you tried running a malware scan with your anti-virus software as well? You should also check the usage after performing a clean boot as well.
I'm also not sure if you have already run the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the Data LifeGuard Utility. These tests help you determine the health and SMART stats of the HDD in your laptop.
Here's an article from our kb that explains how to test the drive, using the DLG tool.

Keep us posted.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution