[SOLVED] How do I take the best advantage of an old Atom D425?

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
I can`t even play mp3 without glitches not to mention 720p videos without hiccups.

Is there a way I can use this pc without maxing out the processor everytime I want to do something?

Solution
A desktop PC with an Atom CPU? Wow, didn't know they fitted them on desktops as well. You can probably upgrade the RAM by removing what's already in it and replacing it with a 4GB stick, though the mobo specs say it has 2 x RAM slots but could be wrong of course:

http://www.ascendtech.us/ecs-tigd-ci4-intel-atom-d425-motheboard_i_mbecstigdci4nm1.aspx

Not much else you can do to improve it's speed -- it's low-spec so if it doesn't meet your requirements you need to retire it and buy something with more muscle. I certainly wouldn't want anything with an Atom inside it.

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018

It`s a desktop, and it's got 2GB DDR3 ram and the motherboard is a TIGD-C14.

The ram stick is like a notebook`s, it is small and sits laying on it's side on the motherboard, there are no more ram slots available.

A desktop PC with an Atom CPU? Wow, didn't know they fitted them on desktops as well. You can probably upgrade the RAM by removing what's already in it and replacing it with a 4GB stick, though the mobo specs say it has 2 x RAM slots but could be wrong of course:

http://www.ascendtech.us/ecs-tigd-ci4-intel-atom-d425-motheboard_i_mbecstigdci4nm1.aspx

Not much else you can do to improve it's speed -- it's low-spec so if it doesn't meet your requirements you need to retire it and buy something with more muscle. I certainly wouldn't want anything with an Atom inside it.

Solution
This seems to be like mini-ITX board, and a lot of these were / are used in industrial environments. I had my home server running Windows Server 2012 on D410-based board up until recently, and it did what I needed it to do, so there's still probably some juice left in this PC.

Start fresh - reinstall fresh Windows, put faster HDD (or even SSD, one can get 120GB on sale for like $25). If you can get 4GB RAM stick cheap, it will be even better.