[SOLVED] How do i tell if my d5 liquid cooling pump is dieing or my loop is clogged?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Out of nowhere my pump is barely moving water even though it says its running at 4000rpm. You used to be able to hear the water moving at full speed now it's barely moving. Is this most likely the pump going bad or a clogged loop?

Solution
Any change in temps? Cpu/gpu and/or loop temps? How does the coolant look? What kind of coolant? What additives? When was it last changed or installed? How do the blocks look? Is algea visible? Lots of indicators to a failing loop other than just the water doesn't sound as loud.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
if the loop was clogged you'd expect the pump to be making a noise as it struggled to push water around. I think maybe the impeller has worked itself loose and the motor is free to spin at full RPM but the impeller is not moving as fast.

Not much you can do other than replace the pump really. Drain the system first (you will need to anyway) and you will easily see if there's a blockage.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Any change in temps? Cpu/gpu and/or loop temps? How does the coolant look? What kind of coolant? What additives? When was it last changed or installed? How do the blocks look? Is algea visible? Lots of indicators to a failing loop other than just the water doesn't sound as loud.

Reactions: TommyTwoTone66
Solution