[SOLVED] How do I transfer a stock front casing fan to the back of the case as an exhaust fan?

Aug 1, 2021
I have a Fractal Design Focus G chassis that has two front intake fans. I want to transfer one of the fans to the back of the case as an exhaust fan. But the screws that secure the fans to the front are elongated ones that extend through the fans to some kind of securing bracket behind them. Obviously I can't use those screws at the back of the case as the back has no such bracket. So I'm wondering if it is perfectly healthy for a 120mm fan to screw only one side of it to the four holes at the back of the case? Will this cause problems with rattling in the long run?

Solution
You will need to hunt for self tapping screws...like these:
20pcs-pack-DS743-Black-Plating-5-10mm-Self-tapping-Screws-Case-Fan-Screw-Free-Russia-Shipping.jpg

Also, I'd advise against moving the front fans to the back. Instead, leave the rear alone or add a 120mm fan of your own there, not shuffling what already came with the case. It's not just about noise, it's also to do with airflow in your chassis.

Lutfij

Titan
20pcs-pack-DS743-Black-Plating-5-10mm-Self-tapping-Screws-Case-Fan-Screw-Free-Russia-Shipping.jpg

Also, I'd advise against moving the front fans to the back. Instead, leave the rear alone or add a 120mm fan of your own there, not shuffling what already came with the case. It's not just about noise, it's also to do with airflow in your chassis.

Reactions: Unolocogringo
Solution
Aug 1, 2021

Thanks. I assume those screws are only meant to screw one side of the fan to the back of the case? or should I get long ones that extend through the holes on the other side of the fan? (if that's more physically sound for the fan).
Thanks for the advise against moving the fan to the back. You've changed my mind. I'm now getting an extra fan for the back, especially after reading about positive pressure (2 intake and 1 exhaust) which I understand is more helpful in keeping dust out?