[SOLVED] How do I transfer HDDs and SSDs to a new system?

Jan 13, 2020
Main question: can I simply plug in old HDDs into a new build (new mobo, new CPU) and expect to be able to access the files on them?

Details of situation and build:
I am planning to eventually upgrade my mobo and CPU while reusing the other components from my current build. My question concerns whether or not I'll be able to safely transfer the data on my HDDs and possibly SSD.

Relevant details of my current build:
Mobo: MSI Z370-A PRO
CPU: i5-8600K
SSD: (1) 500GB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5"
HDD: (1) 4TB Toshiba X300 3.5" and (1) 5TB Toshiba X300 3.5"

SSD/HDD details:
The SSD is my C: drive and contains some essential programs but not too much else. I plan to reinstall Windows (possibly onto a new M.2 SSD, possibly wiping and reusing the 2.5" SSD) so I'm not too worried about transferring the Windows license or program reinstallation.
Both HDDs are single partition bulk storage drives. The 4TB drive contains games (i.e. Steam library), some installed programs, and other assorted documents. The 5TB drive contains photos and videos.

Desired upgrades:
Mobo: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Main question: can I simply plug in old HDDs into a new build (new mobo, new CPU) and expect to be able to access the files on them?
Install windows first on new M.2 drive (without any old drives connected).
Then connect old drives. Data will be accessible (unless you have encrypted old drives with bitlocker or something). It may be necessary to take ownership of files/folders on old drives, to get access to them.

anotthatgreatdane

Reputable
Nov 15, 2019
Well yes.
I would probably get a small ssd to put windows on. And then manage and backup the files i would actually need and not waste the space with old drivers and grit.
But yes its plug and play. Maybe you have to fiddle with secureboot (bios setting) depending on how your old drives were formatted.

Then connect old drives. Data will be accessible (unless you have encrypted old drives with bitlocker or something). It may be necessary to take ownership of files/folders on old drives, to get access to them.

Solution
Jan 13, 2020
Sounds good. Thanks to everyone for their responses!