Question How do I transfer my windows local account data to a different local account?

sayooyas

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
Ran into a problem, windows widgets had a bug. where i would sign in but it just dont do anything.
So i created a different local account and it worked on there so i wanna move my stuff to that local account. how do i do that and make it admin before deleting the current one?

windows 11
Also, for the widgets bug. I tried all the fixes and this is what worked.

Ralston18

Titan
First of all:

"Ran into a problem, windows widgets had a bug. where i would sign in but it just dont do anything. "

No pop up windows, error messages, or other responses? Take a couple of screenshots and post the screenshots here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Secondly:

"Also, for the widgets bug. I tried all the fixes and this is what worked."

What is " the what that worked"?

If you have full admin rights to the computer then you control what the various local accounts are allowed to do or not to do.

As for windows bugs try using "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to fix.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Failing the above - more information will be needed.

sayooyas

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
First of all:

"Ran into a problem, windows widgets had a bug. where i would sign in but it just dont do anything. "

No pop up windows, error messages, or other responses? Take a couple of screenshots and post the screenshots here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Secondly:

"Also, for the widgets bug. I tried all the fixes and this is what worked."

What is " the what that worked"?

If you have full admin rights to the computer then you control what the various local accounts are allowed to do or not to do.

As for windows bugs try using "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to fix.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Failing the above - more information will be needed.

when i hover over widgets, it tells me to sign in. even tho im signed in a Microsoft account. it even says that in my account settings that its not a local user and shows my email.
when i try press sign in and enter my details correctly, the widget window simply disappears. the whole process repeats itself when i hover over widgets again.
i have tried contacting microsoft and they said the account is corrupted and i should make a new local user and start fresh.

when i said the widgets worked on a different local user. by that i meant, widgets let me sign in and actually showed me the widgets like weather, task, etc

Colif

Win 11 Master
So i created a different local account and it worked on there so i wanna move my stuff to that local account. how do i do that and make it admin before deleting the current one?

log onto broken account if you can
make new account admin - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-20de74e0-ac7f-3502-a866-32915af2a34d
go to C:/Users/0ld user folder (I don't know its name, substitute it for real one)
copy contents of that folder onto New user folder (see previous brackets)
this gives it the same access as old account, all you need to do then is log onto extra things like Onedrive and/or Steam if you used them.

sayooyas

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
log onto broken account if you can
make new account admin - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-20de74e0-ac7f-3502-a866-32915af2a34d
go to C:/Users/0ld user folder (I don't know its name, substitute it for real one)
copy contents of that folder onto New user folder (see previous brackets)
this gives it the same access as old account, all you need to do then is log onto extra things like Onedrive and/or Steam if you used them.
did this and the widgets stopped working.

after that i contacted support and the guys reset the whole pc.

which did fix it but i lost all my apps and other data. all the files and stuff was still there but all my apps and stuff got delete which was very dumb. im still trying to recover my stuff but some of the things are gone and i cant do anything about it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
which support?

sounds like microsoft. At one stage after win 10 was released, their answer to everything was reinstall windows... so at least they changed a little. Resets remove almost everything apart from Microsoft apps. Almost easier to clean install. At least you can prepare for that.

sayooyas

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
which support?

sounds like microsoft. At one stage after win 10 was released, their answer to everything was reinstall windows... so at least they changed a little. Resets remove almost everything apart from Microsoft apps. Almost easier to clean install. At least you can prepare for that.
yh microsoft,
it pissed me off.

I_Got_Crabs

Prominent
Feb 1, 2022
Ran into a problem, windows widgets had a bug. where i would sign in but it just dont do anything.

windows 11
HERE IS HOW TO GIVE A LOCAL ACCOUNT ADMINI PRIVILEDGES
This will let you 1st verify the account status, and then change the status.
(1a) Verify the new local account was created successfully and verify the status.
- Click on the Magnifying Glass, type "Control Panel", then click 'open'
- Click on "User Accounts"
- Click on "Manage another account"
Here you can easily see all of the accounts on the PC
It displays "Mike Smith" and the status is "Local Account"
- Click on "Add a new user in PC settings" - which appears below the account names (in small blue letters)

(2) Give the Mike Smith local account Administrator priviledges:
- Click on "Accounts" on the left side
- Click on "Other users" in the center
Notice that Mike's account is identified as: "Mike Smith, Local account"
- Click on Mike Smith
- In the drop down, on the right side, click on "Change account type"
- Click on the Down Arrow, and select "Administrator"
- Click on OK.
Notice that Mike's account now is identified as: "Mike Smith, Administrator, Local account"

I_Got_Crabs

Prominent
Feb 1, 2022

windows 11
I SUGGEST THAT YOU CHANGE THE LOCAL ACCOUNT INTO A MICROSOFT ACCOUNT - HERE'S HOW: (KIND OF LONG, BUT EASY TO FOLLOW).
This is a multi-step process, which consists of:
  1. Creating a local account
  2. Changing the local account status from "user" to "administrator"
  3. Either: a) already have an existing Microsoft Account, or b) create a new Microsoft Account
  4. Logging-in with the new local account and changing it into a Microsoft Account
- Explanation: A local user account (on the PC only) will not be able to sync to other devices where you use the same account. For example, if you save webstie password in Microsoft Edge, the password will only be saved on this PC. However, with a Microsoft Account, the password that you save on this PC will be available on any other device, like a Mobile Phone, another PC, laptop, tablet that uses the same account.

(1) CREATE A LOCAL USER ACCOUNT ON THIS PC
  • Press: Win+X
  • Click on "Computer Management"
  • On the Left side, click on "Local users and groups"
  • In the Center, left-click on "Users" and then right-click
  • Left-click on "New User"
Fill In:
- User Name: Mike
- Full Name: (Anything you want, e.g., Mike Smith)
- Description: (you can put something here or leave blank)
- Password: Make a Password (write it down!): Make it really simple, like: 123
- Confirm Password
- Unclick the box "User must change password at next logon"
- Click "Create"
!! - The screen will immediately go blank (it does not tell you if the account was successfully created or not)

(1a) Verify the new local account was created successfully and verify the status.
- Click on the Magnifying Glass, type "Control Panel", then click 'open'
- Click on "User Accounts"
- Click on "Manage another account"
Here you can easily see all of the accounts on the PC
It displays "Mike Smith" and the status is "Local Account"
- Click on "Add a new user in PC settings" - which appears below the account names (in small blue letters)

(2) Give the Mike Smith local account Administrator privileges:
- Click on "Accounts" on the left side
- Click on "Other users" in the center
Notice that Mike's account is identified as: "Mike Smith, Local account"
- Click on Mike Smith
- In the drop down, on the right side, click on "Change account type"
- Click on the Down Arrow, and select "Administrator"
- Click on OK.
Notice that Mike's account now is identified as: "Mike Smith, Administrator, Local account"

(3) At this point we are ready to change the local account into a Microsoft account.
- You must have a Microsoft Account to use (you will have the email address and the password, e.g. Mike_Smith@outlook.com and password.
- If you need to create a Microsoft Account, then go to: account.microsoft.com and create a new Microsoft Account.
- For example: If I create a new Microsoft account, and I pick "outlook" for email, then the account is: Mike_Smith, the email address will be Mike_Smith@outlook.com, and the email password is the same as the account password!

(3a) Here is a summary of what we have to work with:
Local user account: Mike Smith, administrator, local account - Password: 123
Microsoft online account: Mike_Smith@outlook.com - Password: Kcs34756#2n

(4) Log-in to the local account of Mike Smith on the PC
  • Click the 4 blue squares in the bottom task bar
  • Look at the bottom-left of the window to see the name of the account which is currently logged in. I see that mine indicates that the "Administrator" is currently logged in.
  • Now, click on "Administrator" and then, from the pop-up menu click on "Mike Smith" which is the local account and log in.
- If the menu does not show you Mike Smith, then you need to return to Step (1) to create the local account.
- Windows will walk you through the "Hello" screens to set up Mike's new local account.

(4a) Change the local account of Mike Smith into a Microsoft Account
  • Click the (4) blue squares on the bottom-center task bar
  • Click on "Mike Smith" in the bottom-left of the window
  • Click "Change account settings"
  • Look for "Account settings", "Local Account" and then click on "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead"
  • The Microsoft Sign in box will appear
- Enter Mike Smith's Online Account Email address and Password:
- Sign-in: Mike_Smith@outlook.com (using the outlook email address)
- Click Next
- Enter Password: xxxxxxxxxx (using the outlook email password)
- Click next, and you will be asked to enter the password for the local account.
- Enter the local account password: 123

(5) At this point, Windows will take a few moments to process and when finished the Mike Smith local account will be replaced with the Mike_Smith Microsoft account.
- Finished.
- Repeat all steps to create additional accounts.

Latest posts