Question How do I update the Asus TUF B760M-PLUS Wifi without a CPU

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
Hello,

So i own a i7-14700KF CPU and a Asus TUF B760M-PLUS Wifi, The cpu is compatible with the motherboard but only after it’s updated to at least version 1205 of the BIOS. So my question is:

If the CPU is not compatible just yet, How do i update the bios version? There is no USB port labeled with BIOS or any indicator so I cannot do a BIOS flash without the CPU i assume. And I’m told that if I install my CPU i probably won’t be able to boot into the BIOS to update it. So i’m lost, What am I able to do to update the BIOS so i’m able to use my CPU

Lutfij

Titan
Simple answer; You don't. You will need a prior generation processor in order to flash the BIOS to the latest version then clear the CMOS, then drop in the latter processor onto the socket. Had the board had a BIOS FlashBack button, you wouldn't have needed to go through the aforementioned steps.

Why are you dropping an unlocked processor onto a chipset/board that won't allow you to take advantage of the processor? You should be looking at a Z790 chipset to pair with that i7-14700KF. On that note, if I were you, I'd look into the K SKU instead of the KF SKU since the iGPU will come in handy when you need to diagnose display related issues.

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
Simple answer; You don't. You will need a prior generation processor in order to flash the BIOS to the latest version then clear the CMOS, then drop in the latter processor onto the socket. Had the board had a BIOS FlashBack button, you wouldn't have needed to go through the aforementioned steps.

Why are you dropping an unlocked processor onto a chipset/board that won't allow you to take advantage of the processor? You should be looking at a Z790 chipset to pair with that i7-14700KF. On that note, if I were you, I'd look into the K SKU instead of the KF SKU since the iGPU will come in handy when you need to diagnose display related issues.
Okay, So i should replace my 14700KF with a 14700K?

does that also solve my main issue of being able to upgrade the BIOS?