How do I upgrade nvidia driver while on integrated graphics?

HK_Gail

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
I got a black screen on start up and suspected a problem with my graphics driver. I switched the monitor's hdmi cable to my mobo and it boots fine, so I want to update my gpu driver now, but when I run the nvidia updater I downloaded from their site, it doesn't any gpu and won't install. How can I update the driver while not connected to the gpu? The gpu lights are on so I think it's working.

HK_Gail

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
windows 10 64bit (fall creator's edition)
mobo: Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero
cpu: i5 - 7600K
gpu: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID GAMING
ram: 16GB (not sure what speed)
PSU: Antec 850 High Current Gamer M

HK_Gail

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
I flashed the bios with a switch on my mobo and tried it connected to the gpu again, since I had a cpu overclock. It worked...at first. I tried to update my graphics driver just because I was thinking about it, but got a black screen again half way through the install. So I'm currently still on integrated graphics, and not sure what is going on.

HK_Gail

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Yes, it black screens only when monitor is connected to the gpu, but not when connected to the motherboard. I haven't been able to try safe mode because the screen is black from the start when plugged into gpu. When I power the pc on, the screen flashes "no video input" and goes to sleep. It worked last night after clearing cmos, but then black screened again while trying to update video driver, so I'm not sure what state it's in now. I will try booting with gpu again after I get off work today.

HK_Gail

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
After trying again tonight, it turns on fine and the video driver which was updating when it blackscreened yesterday says it is up to date now. It ran fine for about an hour, then black screened for no apparent reason.

When I update my Nvidia videocard drivers I manually download them from the Nvidia website. You can do this with integrated graphics or any videocard since you are just downloading a file. Then I install the card and boot the computer, with the monitor connected to the card. You should be using Windows' generic driver at this point. When you get to the desktop, install the drivers you downloaded. I select the 'advanced' option, then the 'custom' option, then make sure you select a 'clean' install. You can also uncheck all the things you might not need, such as 3d vision/HDMI audio/etc.

HK_Gail

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
The reason I initially couldn't update the driver was that it wouldn't boot at all while plugged into the card. But, while surfing the web plugged into integrated graphics last night, my background image disappeared and I got repeated pop ups about not being able to find some file, then a blue screen, didn't catch the error code, then upon restart another permanent blue screen with ERROR code: 0xc000000e. Could this be psu related. That and my ssd are the oldest parts in my computer.

HK_Gail

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
OK, I'm leaning toward my graphics card (1080ti) being broken. When my monitor is plugged into the gpu, the screen remains black and nothing shows when switching on the computer, All the fans move and lights come on, but screen remains blank, sometimes it initially boots but then black screens within 10 minutes.

When plugged into the mother board it always boots, but still occasionally black screens after around an hour.

I've replaced the psu, so I know that's not the problem. Nothing is overheating so that's not it. I don't think it's a graphics driver issue because I did manage to do a clean install of my nvidia graphics driver (I think, I ticked the clean install option in the installer after choosing custom) I think the ssd windows is on is ok, It's smart data says it is anyway. I also tried to update my uefi bios, by choosing the online update option from within bios, but I'm not sure if it updated. It said it turned on the online setting and restarted, but said the bios is already up to date.

Is there anything else I can check before attempting to rma my gpu?