[SOLVED] how do i use USB 3.0 on Windows XP?

Aug 11, 2019
my external hard disk is not connecting, any solutions to install USB 3.0? The websites for download, looked very skechy

Solution
usb is backward compatible so if a usb slot works, then it should handle the drive. it will of course run at much slower speed but it should work.

xp was not around when 3.0 came out for sure. i think2.0 was not very old either and not widely adopted at that time.

problem with xp is that it may need drivers for the drive itself to work. back in those days, the plug and play was not as good as it is now. most external drives back in those days came with drivers to install!! my guess is this is what the problem is rather than the usb drivers themselves.

i doubt there are drivers available for the drive itself so not sure if there is anything you can do.

USB 3.0 devices are designed to be backwards compatible with USB 2.0, which I'm guessing your laptop is.

Unfortunately USB 3.0 can consume a lot more power than USB 2.0 specs can deliver. In fact I even have USB 2.0 external HDD that shut down the USB port because it draws too much power. Once the USB polyfuse on the port blows, windows disables the device (drive) permanently on that port to help protect the hardware. It's hidden somewhere deep in the registry and I never found where. A full windows reinstall from scratch will reset the ports however.

Your best bet would be to buy a cheap $60 512 gig ssd and USB 2.0 drive adapter which minimize power draw over the port compared to traditional portable HDD. You'll also get better battery life from your laptop with this approach. But file load times will be horridly slow. So don't use it as a game drive or edit drive. It will be fine to store pictures or small movies or school work.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
usb is backward compatible so if a usb slot works, then it should handle the drive. it will of course run at much slower speed but it should work.

xp was not around when 3.0 came out for sure. i think2.0 was not very old either and not widely adopted at that time.

problem with xp is that it may need drivers for the drive itself to work. back in those days, the plug and play was not as good as it is now. most external drives back in those days came with drivers to install!! my guess is this is what the problem is rather than the usb drivers themselves.

i doubt there are drivers available for the drive itself so not sure if there is anything you can do.

Solution