[SOLVED] How do you change the BIOS system date?

Wolf87cz

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Hello...I've been accepted for a work at home job and it's awesome because I've been having some health problems I've been trying to get over, however, in their system check on my computer everything passed but the system date. Following is the information I received.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Operating System Name

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Pass

CPU Processor Name

AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor

Pass

CPU Clock Speed

3600 MHz - Dual Core

Pass

Total RAM

8192 MB

Pass

Available Hard Drive Space

898.9 GB

Pass

System Date

08/26/2011

Fail

Machine Environment

Supported

Pass

Processor Architecture

64bit

Pass

Make / Model

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. M68MT-S2

Pass

Screen Resolution

1360 x 768

Pass

Hardware Compatibility

Supported

Pass
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How can I change this? It's based on software correct? So what changes would I have to make to be able to get this to pass and move on to the next phase of the job? I could buy a new computer but probably could only afford to buy used anyway.

Solution
l believe this date ls the manufactured BlOS date....l should have been more clear my date and time on the PC itself ls fine. They are saying they cannot accept a PC manufactured slx years older or more so l was just wondering if it was possible to change that manually as l'm passing every other part of the test. Feels silly to buy a whole new computer due to one requirement that frankly makes no sense...lf a PC runs...lt runs...lt has windows 10 so l don't get the reason for the slx year or less. Sorry some keys are broken on my laptop...another issue..
You'll probably find not easily. One would suspect there will be a small element of code in the BIOS firmware, which theoretically, you could get, and modify. But firstly...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
you boot into the BIOS. if the Date is that far out of whack I would wager a nickel that your BIOS battery is dead. change the battery boot to BIOS, set the date and time, save the changes, exit BIOS and your done.

dollar store, pharmacy, walmart, literally everywhere has them
CR 2032 3V litium button cell battery

word on grounding safety should you need to change the battery
Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

Wolf87cz

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
l believe this date ls the manufactured BlOS date....l should have been more clear my date and time on the PC itself ls fine. They are saying they cannot accept a PC manufactured slx years older or more so l was just wondering if it was possible to change that manually as l'm passing every other part of the test. Feels silly to buy a whole new computer due to one requirement that frankly makes no sense...lf a PC runs...lt runs...lt has windows 10 so l don't get the reason for the slx year or less. Sorry some keys are broken on my laptop...another issue..

you boot into the BIOS. if the Date is that far out of whack I would wager a nickel that your BIOS battery is dead. change the battery boot to BIOS, set the date and time, save the changes, exit BIOS and your done.

dollar store, pharmacy, walmart, literally everywhere has them
CR 2032 3V litium button cell battery

word on grounding safety should you need to change the battery
Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You'll probably find not easily. One would suspect there will be a small element of code in the BIOS firmware, which theoretically, you could get, and modify. But firstly finding a program that could read such information is a challenge, then one that could edit that code is a challenge, then modifying it yourself without damaging the firmware is a challenge, then reflashing it back would be a challenge.

Especially considering it will have a series of chksums / failsafes in place to check for errors.

So all in all, you need a new motherboard it would seem unfortunately.

Solution