How do you find out how fast your RPMs are?

G

Hi.

Just wondering how you find out how fast your hard drive is? I'd also like to know if IDE drives running at 7200RPM is still good, performance wise. Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sjn85 on 05/07/01 08:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hm... If you can find out what hard drive you have, you can look it up on the manufacturer's web site. 7200RPM drives are the standard nowadays, they're quite decent performers.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

You can sometimes find this information (drive model) in Device Manager in Windows without having to remove the drive. So you might check there first if you want to save yourself some energy. Then you can check the model on the manufacturer's website.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I've got about 8 partitions, so it changes. I get real close to 39meg/sec on my 45gig IBM drive on the outter tracks, and have seen it drop to 37meg/sec about 10gig or so into the drive.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have a dell so this might be the problem. Nonetheless, if I go to my hard disk controller properties I get a dialog box with nothing to choose from. There is no option to enable DMA.

If I got to the disk drives I have a "generic ide disk type01" which has a DMA checkbox, but it warns me to mess with it. Is that what I should check? I have no idea.

<font color=red>Did you ever wonder WHY aliens only abduct idiots?</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dhlucke on 05/17/01 10:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
Yes, that's where you should check it. All modern hard drives support DMA, it's impossible to believe that a system purchased in the last 5 years would not support it. Most hard drives now support the UDMA as well (ATA66 or ATA100) provided you use a special 80-conductor cable internally and provided the IDE controller on your motherboard supports it (again, all motherboards manufactured for the last 2-3 years should support at least ATA66).

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, that is were you check it, don't worry the warning message you get is always given by windows whenever you enable dma on any device. As long as the hard drive you have is what you say it is it will most certianly support DMA enabled.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Thanks, much better now. I don't have a 66 controller, so I'm still stuck at 22-34 mb/s, but this should be a nice improvement.

There is a checkbox for the zipdrive too. Should I enable DMA there? Why doesn't windows do this automatically?

<font color=red>Did you ever wonder WHY aliens only abduct idiots?</font color=red>