[SOLVED] How do you find out your gpu brand on pre-built?

Mar 9, 2019
Got a pre-built Alienware R8 for Xmas just want to check who made the card.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Edit card in question is an RTX 2080 oc. (Non Ti)

Mar 9, 2019
I’ve read dell doesn’t manufacture cards so it does have a brand. That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Who made it.

Also if possible would like to know if I could NVLink 2 of these 2080s

Where can I get cpu z

Also is this card worse performance wise than if I bought my own msi or STRIX etc ?

Mar 9, 2019
says dell under sub vendor and tu104 under gpu

Name is Nvidia GeForce rtx 2080

Edit ko888 I’m not sure how you came about that answer but it is oddly specific and I will take it! Thank you everyone appreciate the help

Last edited:
says dell under sub vendor and tu104 under gpu

Name is Nvidia GeForce rtx 2080

Edit ko888 I’m not sure how you came about that answer but it is oddly specific and I will take it! Thank you everyone appreciate the help
The radial air cooler used on the card and the base and boost clocks for the card, posted by Dell, point specifically to the Founders Edition version of the card.

Mar 9, 2019
Thank u

Edit if I were to nvlink 2 of these 2080s is it worth it? Presupposing I had an extra one on hand.

Also would I need extra cooling? Liquid or otherwise
Edit2 card runs at 80c currently is that ok

Thank u

Edit if I were to nvlink 2 of these 2080s is it worth it? Presupposing I had an extra one on hand.

Also would I need extra cooling? Liquid or otherwise
Edit2 card runs at 80c currently is that ok
One of the Alienware configurations has Dual NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 with NVIDIA NVLink SLI Enabled both running with stock air coolers.

It's only worth it if the games you play actually benefit from SLI. There are games that will actually run slower than a single card when both cards are enabled in SLI mode. You can see some gaming benchmarks here:

The primary card will usually run hotter than the secondary card. 72°C to 74°C is what the Founders Edition card normally operates at in an open air environment.

Mar 9, 2019
Thank you very much. Is there a reason why my card is running 79-80c regularly ? Only playing Fortnite which Ive read isn’t a very demanding game — but settings are close to all full ultra and running a 1440p UltraWide.

Thank you very much. Is there a reason why my card is running 79-80c regularly ? Only playing Fortnite which Ive read isn’t a very demanding game — but settings are close to all full ultra and running a 1440p UltraWide.
It's usually due to poor computer case ventilation. The maximum allowed temperature for that card is 88°C before thermal throttling will occur.

Also for dual cards in SLI, if the two cards are right next to each other without at least a slot-width of space between the cards then one of the cards will have its air intake partially choked off resulting in that card running hotter.

Mar 9, 2019
Ok. Your info is very very helpful I’ve had these questions for a while now and couldn’t find an answer. I really appreciate all your assistance.

If I got a new monitor in April (Lenovo Legion y27gq) it runs 1440p 240hz. Will I be able to attain this frame rate or close to it with my single 2080 ? Will nvlinking 2 help me ? Fortnite doesn’t seem to benefit from nvlink/sli because it’s not overly demanding but I don’t really know much about this.

Currently have RTSS limiting to 117 FPS on a Alienware 34 UltraWide which native is 100 but overclocked to 120.

I don't see that a single RTX 2080 will reach 240 FPS @ 2540x1440 display resolution with most games unless you run it with the lowest quality graphics settings.

If you can run the system with the computer case open see if it lowers the graphics card's operating temperature. If the graphics card's operrating temperature is lower with the computer case open then that proves that the computer case has inadequate ventilation/air flow.

Mar 9, 2019
Ok cool. Is it safe to assume that a dual nvlink setup would hit that desired FPS with 2x 2080s?

Also probably not able to run it with the case I have if vent. Is the problem right?

Mar 9, 2019
Do we think I can swing the nvlink without overheating or do I need another cooling option like liquid or something?

Screen going black and then coming back is throttling due to overheating probably ?

Do we think I can swing the nvlink without overheating or do I need another cooling option like liquid or something?

Screen going black and then coming back is throttling due to overheating probably ?
Like I've said repeatedly, Dell already sells an Alienware R8 with dual NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 cards with NVIDIA NVLink SLI Enabled. Both graphics cards use their stock air coolers.

I don't know the cause of your screen's syncing problem.

Mar 9, 2019
Ok thank u sorry for my lack of understanding. Totally new to this and just a bit confused as everything is new

Any suggestion on things it could be? I’m sure Theres a million different ones but some of the most common?

Mar 9, 2019
I just clicked the little gear next to fan speed in msi afterburner and fan got louder but gpu went to 68c ^^ very happy about this as the noise is irrelevant to me

Edit this is incredible to me was so worried about the temps very pleased with outcome. Guessing I can swing 2 2080s like this