Question How do you fix constant lag spikes every 5 seconds ranging from 100-800 ms on ethernet?

Thepersonwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Jun 29, 2019
Since last week I have been getting over 100-800 ping spikes every 5 seconds and then returns to >20 ms. I've tried every solution the internet had but it all failed. Please Help.

Thepersonwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Jun 29, 2019
Sorry didn't see the reply, so basically I noticed that whenever someone else watches HD movies on either the tv and laptop, my internet starts to spike up to 100-500 ms. This computer should have 1Gbps and I am using an ethernet cable. I have tried every solution that I could find. So far none have worked. As I said this happens every time someone is on Netflix or HBO and the moment they stop watching, spikes stop. I feel that the speeds keep switching from 1Gbps to 100 Mbps. Thanks in advance.

How fast is your internet. A ethernet cable itself will never get latency spikes. It either passes the data correctly or you get packet loss you will never see delays.

What I suspect is you have a fairly slow internet connection and the people using netflix etc are using up all the bandwidth. It has nothing to do with your computer or connection to the router.. There is no good fix for this problem other than buying more bandwidth. Other wise you will have to find some agreement so you do not affect each other traffic. Generally who every pays the bill gets to make the rules on whose traffic is more important.

Thepersonwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Jun 29, 2019
The thing is, I've never changed the bandwidth and this problem popped up a couple of weeks ago. Before that, I had no problem with the internet. I was at a steady 0-20 ms while I was online and I could have 2-3 devices watching HD movies in the background.

I've never changed the bandwidth and this problem popped up a couple of weeks ago.
You did not purposely do anything yourself, but your housemates may have by discovering Netflix. U stated "I noticed that whenever someone else watches HD movies."

You shared the total available Internet bandwidth with people in the house. Is like driving on an highway, the more cars, the slower the traffic gets because of congestion.

I insist that you tell us what's the PAID BANDWIDTH is, because if you tell me you are paying for 1 gigabit, I say no way 4-5 people can saturate that 10-lanes highway, but if you are only paying for <100 mbit, 4-5 people may introduce latency as observed.

Your immediate solution is (1)tell your housemates to get off the Internet while you are gaming. (2)Pay for more bandwidth. (3)introduce bandwidth management via QOS.

2 easiest is just more expense per month.
3 needs new equipment and expertise to configure but is once-off expense, and your housemates may not be kin that you allocate bandwidth priority to yourself.

You also made no mention whether you and your housemates are hardwired or using WIFI. WIFI introduces YET ANOTHER potential bottleneck.

Last edited: