How do you fix corrupt Windows Installer? 8.1

Cyberfix

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Hi...I have a Windows 8.1 Dell laptop I recently acquired. I cannot install the Google Voice & Video plugin for my Gmail via Comodo Dragon(ie Chromium.) I had it installed and it was working...then all of a sudden it stopped so I attempted numerous times to re-install it. According to information on the Internet it may have something to do with corrupt Windows Installer files so I ran the "scannow" feature and it stated that there were corrupted files Windows couldn't fix. I don't understand how that even happened since I've only had this computer a few months...purchased new from Dell. Anyway I also attempted to unregister and reregister the Windows installer file but that also didn't work. I went to try the MS fix-it however it isn't supported by 8.1 and so is greyed out...cannot even run that in backwards compatibility mode. I've scoured the internet but haven't found anything. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated...

Solution
generally if windows system file checker (sfc.exe /scannow) finds and can not fix a corrupted file it is because your orginal copy that it has stored in in a hidden directory on your drive is also corrupted. Often the corruption occurs when the original files are copied to the machine. To fix this on windows 8.x you use the dism.exe command and get the replacement file from a trusted online source.
to do this:
start cmd.exe as a admin (windows key+x then type A)
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth <- this will go online and get a fresh copy of any microsoft system file that was corrupted.

after this completes, you will want to reboot then run the sfc.exe /scannow command again to confirm that a...
generally if windows system file checker (sfc.exe /scannow) finds and can not fix a corrupted file it is because your orginal copy that it has stored in in a hidden directory on your drive is also corrupted. Often the corruption occurs when the original files are copied to the machine. To fix this on windows 8.x you use the dism.exe command and get the replacement file from a trusted online source.
to do this:
start cmd.exe as a admin (windows key+x then type A)
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth <- this will go online and get a fresh copy of any microsoft system file that was corrupted.

after this completes, you will want to reboot then run the sfc.exe /scannow command again to confirm that a non corrupted copy is now in place.
(just in case you have a bug that corrupts a file as it is being downloaded or installed)

The real trick is trying to figure out what corrupted the file in the first place.

Solution

Southey94

Commendable
May 8, 2016

I put "dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" in the cmd prompt and got an error code 87 saying "the /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth option is unknown"

the command was implemented in windows 8 and above.
Any chance you have windows 7 or below?

Southey94

Commendable
May 8, 2016

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

there are some hack programs that replace the dism.exe binary so you can not undo the hack.
also just to make sure, you time the above command without the quotes and with spaces

you could also search your hard drive for dism.exe to see if you have more than one copy of the command.
windows key+ A then type
cd c:\
dir /s dism.exe

my system shows 5 copies but I want to run the one in the c:\windows\system32 directory. not the ones that run out of a subsystem
(for downward compatibility)